Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, Idrils Scribe, Dawn Felagund, Aprilertuile, janeways, Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written by the members of the Middle-earth Olympics team "House of Finwe" for the Tennis challenge.

("Tennis is ultimately a game of back-and-forth (grunting optional). This prompt is an epistolary challenge: Grab a friend or few and write some letters back and forth. Maybe you each choose a character and have them correspond...")

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Letters to and from the Feanorians, on the entry of humans to Beleriand.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Finrod Felagund, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Middle-earth Olympics

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 7 Word Count: 5, 544
Posted on 8 August 2021 Updated on 12 August 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


What a delightful series of letters. The "tennis" format was perfect for this, I think - each of the brothers (+ Finrod) has his very own voice, and while a single writer might have managed to pull that off as well, it gets across even better because the letters were actually written by different people. I loved the very different views and concerns of the brothers, as well as the delay in reactions due to the fact (as Curufin rightly criticises) that nobody bothers to send copies. Their personalities shone so clearly, from the disturbing (Celegorm's obsession with edibility...) to the funny (Amrod's and Amras' tongue-in-cheek remarks) to the serious and "rational" (Maedhros). The dirty laundry that came to light (and the various attempts at shifting the blame and/or mitigating the possible fall-out) made it even more entertaining. I feel insulted on the behalf of the hairy, quarrelsome mortals - but at the same time, the brothers' reactions are very plausible!