From Crystal Fountains Unfailing by Lindariel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My stories of Galadriel and Celeborn grow out of the last written of all Tolkien's ideas about them, which was laid out in Unfinished Tales -- a version with a very different beginning from that in the Silmarillion.

Year of the Sun 20, the evening before the Mereth Aderthad.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Alatáriel and Teleporno encounter the Falls of Ivrin.

Major Characters: Celeborn, Galadriel

Major Relationships: Celeborn/Galadriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Erotica, Het, Hurt/Comfort, Romance

Challenges: Holiday Party, Kings & Kink

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 2, 687
Posted on 10 September 2021 Updated on 16 November 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This 500-word ficlet was inspired by the Holiday Challenge for 15 November, "You're Invited!"

Year of the Sun 20, the day after the Mereth Aderthad


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


It's hard to tell because in my writing so far I've bounced around a lot in her timeline, and I still need to tell the rest of the Valinorean part of it.  But my version of her story has definite beats where she ratchets up her scrying ability later demonstrated to such effect in LotR, and I siezed the opportunity to make this be one of them.  I needed an invitation story, and voila!  It fell into my lap.  I love the challenges; they can be really serendipitous.

Thanks for commenting!

I've usually envisioned Galadriel approaching Thingol and Melian, but this idea of them being invited appeals to me. I would imagine Melian also had the foresight to see what might come of their association.

I can guess at the bright figure behind dark shadows, but please tell me about the significance of "a white flower bobbing in a grove of holly"?

I like to think the strong connection that existed between Elwë and Nowë during the migration west meant that they would stay in touch a lot as soon as Elwë reappeared after the Nan Elmoth period.  So there's a strong connection in my world between the Falathrim and the Doriathrim, independent of the pearl trade that is, and it flows from the top.  I figure Nowë would write Elwë about his relative sailing over from Valinor, and how much he's teaching them, and so on.  I see Elwë as being interested in this relative who can bring him news of the people he once led.  He didn't invite Galadriel, although he will eventually be delighted to discover they are related and he will insist on meeting her brothers too.

Galadriel's visions are sometimes frustratingly metaphorical.  A "white flower bobbing in a grove of holly" is niphredil dancing in the Forest of Region; does that help? 

Thanks for commenting!

I enjoyed your detailed descriptions in this. Cirdan's jab at the Fëanoreans made me laugh. And the concept of Ulmo communicating the truth of matters to them resonates with me. Despite having spoken against bringing the Elves to Aman, he just can't help intervening in their lives, although more by providing knowledge so their decisions are informed than telling them what to do. (Although it's pretty clear what he would like to transpire!)

Yeah, it's a whirlwind social life!  I haven't decided yet whether Alatáriel thinks she has time to go back to Eglarest and get the rest of her things before traipsing off to Doriath.

The visions are fun.  I'm going to be paying some attention to the strand of her story about how she develops her scrying ability.

Thanks for commenting!