Queen's Counsel by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Gnome Tome prompt: ''The caging of song-birds was thought an unkind deed.''

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It was not Melian’s wont to speak against her husband in public. When she did she tried to do so gently. She would not undermine his authority before his people—she was not one of Bauglir’s creatures to bend others by force to her will.

But in the privacy of their chambers it was a different matter.

Major Characters: Elu Thingol, Lúthien Tinúviel, Melian

Major Relationships: Melian/Thingol

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Ficlet, General

Challenges: Gnome Tome, New Year's Resolution

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 663
Posted on 19 January 2022 Updated on 19 January 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That is a very good response to that prompt!

And I like the suggestion that Melian said such things to her husband and her daughter in private!

She says so little in the canonical tale, even if what she says is to the point.

You make a nice connection between Melian's teaching and Luthien's escape and I like how the escape is described. 

 

I really like this.

Thingol was already blinded by fear before he even received the Silmaril, and "—he always got angry when he was afraid" is such a universal truth few are ready to admit. And despite his own infatuation for Melian which impacted all his people in one way or another, his fear (I'd guess) is causing him to lack any empathy for his daugher's feelings. "She will forget him, if given the chance."

"...a handful of heartbeats..." Ouch, Thingol.

And Melian, like so many of Tolkien's woman, sees the shadows that gather in the folly the menfolk who ignore their wise advice. I really like how you phrased this: "Shadows gathered around her, darkening the room, and with effort she banished them."

"Remember all the songs that I have taught you. They will aid you in your solitude." Both clever women... although it must be so hard for Melian, feeling both pride and sorrow at her daugther's actions.

Lovely, thank you!

I really loved how you have written the figure of Melian. 

I feel like in the fanfiction all this charcters truly comes to life expecially the ones that in the Silmarillion didn't get a lot of lines and here I feel like I was reading her directly from the book. It's beautiful!