King of beech and oak and elm by polutropos

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the February SWG challenge, "Times of Bliss." Prompt: 

“The pillars of Menegroth were hewn in the likeness of the beeches of Oromë, stock, bough, and leaf, and they were lit with lanterns of gold. The nightingales sang there as in the gardens of Lórien; and there were fountains of silver, and basins of marble, and floors of many-coloured stones. Carven figures of beasts and birds there ran upon the walls, or climbed upon the pillars, or peered among the branches entwined with many flowers.”
~ The Silmarillion, "Of the Sindar"

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thingol contemplates the carvings of Menegroth, remembering Lúthien. 

Major Characters: Elu Thingol, Lúthien Tinúviel, Melian

Major Relationships: Lúthien & Thingol

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: New Year's Resolution, Times of Bliss

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 453
Posted on 8 February 2022 Updated on 9 February 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

polutropos has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Poor Thingol, such beauty about him and he feels it is pointless, because he cannot cling to Luthien without losing her.

Such a counterpoint between the richness of the descriptions and the memories of his loss.

Thank you! I admit I came up with the concept for this not remembering that Thingol dies before Luthien (which is kind of wild and ironic??) but I also take at face value that, after returning to Doriath and healing Thingol's grief, she and Beren really do disappear and don't see them again so she's essentially gone (uuuh except the battle of Sarn Athrad which makes Beren a lot more active and alive than the conclusion to B&L suggests, but anyway... just thinking aloud!). It's pretty tragic actually, akin to grieving someone with a terminal illness, which is almost worse 😥.