A Web of Stars by Idrils Scribe

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Many thanks to my wonderful beta readers Unnamed Element, Undercat, and Anoriath, for their cheerleading, honest feedback and eagle eyes for errors. You made this a much better story.

Warnings: canon-typical violence, some body horror. This is not a story for arachnophobes.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thranduil never forgave Elrond for Oropher's death at the Last Alliance, and a thousand years of diplomacy have failed to repair the rift between Rivendell and the Greenwood. 
For his final, desperate attempt to seal the breach, Celeborn brings an unlikely ambassador: Arwen Undómiel.

Tauriel doesn't care for this foreign lady. Legolas begs to differ, and Arwen ... Arwen just wants an Adventure.

Major Characters: Arwen, Legolas Greenleaf

Major Relationships: Arwen/Legolas

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 24, 005
Posted on 13 February 2022 Updated on 10 April 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Idrils Scribe has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Fulfilled Intent, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Point of View, Research, Sensitivity Read, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I enjoyed this so much and was riveted from start to finish!

Your descriptions paint such vivid pictures for me with the little details that you add, such as the moss and ferns on the twilit crags, clothing dyed with pine needles and foxglove, Thranduil's changing crowns conveying the seasons... and something deeper about him. The nuances of expressions and thoughts and interactions are so pleasurable to read.

The way you brought in some pertinent background info that, some readers may not know while others do, as a lecture that Arwen bridles at while Celeborn was so unaware was funny and well done.

The Silvan Elves being so good at blending in even Arwen couldn't see them, and Haldir staring them down from the start! :snort!:

The Silvan chieftainess' cloak of iridescent magpie feathers and face of tattoos is magic!

Thranduil being so contrary tha whether they'd come in plainer garb or in splendour, it would be the wrong thing.

The hint of Oropher's willfulness being "the comfortable half of the truth" is an intriguing concept, and I love the way you put it.

And the whole story, the set-up and the culmination with Celeborn pulling his "Luthien-card" is classic!

And from Legolas' POV, I can just imagine him being delighted with the prospect of enjoying time with Arwen, and she with him!

 So much to enjoy about this, story,  its definitely one I'll enjoy reading again. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this lovely comment Anérea! It means the world to me, especially coming from a writer like yourself. 

I very much enjoy releasing my inner magpie and picking up shiny bits and things from everywhere to litter my stories with, and I'm always thrilled when readers remark on them. 

I'm also very happy to hear that complexity and the two sides to history are coming through. They each have their own truth, and both have a point. 

Legolas and Arwen will have a time to remember, that's for sure ;-)

Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed this!