The king perishes with his city by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for SWG challenge Opposites Attract. My prompt was: build-demolish.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Turgon watches Gondolin burn. Someone watches Turgon.

Major Characters: Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Opposites Attract

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 526
Posted on 25 February 2022 Updated on 26 February 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

elennalore has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Setting. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


He did not cry or wail, for he was already dead, as much as the city was already dead. The fact that he was still breathing was just a little imperfection.
Oooh, awesome line that hit me right in the heart.

Sauron not only being at the fall of Gondolin but also the one to kill Turgon and trying to taunt him (I get the feeling he doesn't succeed very well, Turgon is already resigned to his fate) is a great idea. That makes him the killer of both of the elves Ulmo chose as the builders of secret kingdoms.
“You know that there will be nothing left of this place when we are finished, only ash and broken stone.”
“I am aware that the memory of this city will survive in the hearts of every of its citizen,” Turgon replied, rather sharply.

And this also reminds me of the song duel between Finrod and Sauron. Sauron tries to push him down, but while Turgon his not exactly hopeful (he knows it's already over), he insists that it wasn't all for nothing.

Ooh, a lot of contrasts in this that serve really well to emphasise the extremes.

And I imagine there is a kind of peace that settles within one with the acceptance of the inevitability of events to follow. Letting go is a form of death, and yet it makes one more connected to the essence of life than ever.

Very emotive...