Sleepless in Lórien by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for 'On a Different Page' challenge. My prompt was: “The blossom on the Great Tree was shining like flame. All the birds were flying in the air and singing.” ~ "Leaf by Niggle"

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elwë is one of the three Elven ambassadors in Valinor. Melyanna is a Maia, and their guardian. Their story did not begin in Nan Elmoth. It first began here, in the gardens of Lórien, when Elwë could not sleep.

Major Characters: Elu Thingol, Finwë, Melian

Major Relationships: Melian/Thingol, Finwë & Thingol

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Romance

Challenges: On a Different Page

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 178
Posted on 2 May 2022 Updated on 2 May 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Melyanna = Melian

Elwë= Elu Thingol


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

elennalore has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Plot, Setting, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I love this so much! The idea of them meeting before Nan Elmoth gives so much more depth to their relationship. I'm definitely adopting this headcanon. 

Your descriptions of Lórien and of Melian are exquisite. I felt like I was walking through there with Elwë. This is particular - what a lovely description of him (beginning to) fall in love with her:

"She raised her hand and sang a word in Valarin that made Elwë’s body tremble. Instinctively, he found himself cowering before her might. But then – an astonishing sight. Melyanna’s voice had summoned songbirds to appear all around her. They flew in the air right above them, singing. Their song was both alluring and delightful, and even if Elwë had been momentarily frightened before, the birdsong erased all fear and doubt from his mind."

Thanks so much for this beautiful, original piece about an underexplored relationship that is nonetheless so central to the story. . 

I really like what you did with this idea from NoME!

It seems to give a rather different angle on their relationship, but well worth exploring! 

I enjoyed the imaginative descriptions of the setting and your reflections on Ainurin attitudes. 

Love this!

The Valar try so hard to make sure they sleep well, not really understanding how it works. They are different, it also shows in how Melyanna don't understands Elwe's joke. His meeting with her was lovely. He's going to search for that other tree!