Party Hangovers in Hobbiton by MirienSilowende

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Hobbits flock to The Green Dragon to try and decipher the meaning of Bilbo's speech and work out if he was insulting them, or complimenting them.

This is a fic for the Zinger! challenge. 

Major Characters: Historical Character(s), Bilbo Baggins

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fluff

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 604
Posted on 15 July 2022 Updated on 15 July 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

MirienSilowende has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Description/Imagery, Fulfilled Intent, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Point of View, Setting, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I have never taken the time to think about that part of the speech in detail, I have to admit, but this was a  lovely analysis and a beautiful establishment of context. I also quite liked all the names and the background information that was woven in!

I truly enjoyed this piece! 

Yes, I can definitely see the hobbits still chewing that bit of the speech over for a while. Well done!

(I imagine working out what Bilbo said didn't get any easier with the application of alcohol...)

Most marvelous! I have a question: were you clear in your mind what the phrase means when you wrote this? It seems like you had to be. But even after reading your story, i don't understand what Bilbo said.

Oh thanks so much for reading and commenting! 

I deliberately did make the conversation as confusing as possible for the Hobbits 😂

There's so many halfs in there that it's working into double negatives, which I am sure Bilbo intended, to obfuscate everyone. He didn't want to over cinnamon roll his departure! 

Half of them he wished he knew more, I know half of you half as well as I would like. 

And less than half, deserved him to know them better, which implies that he maybe regretted his reclusiveness somewhat?