Homecoming by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My prompt was "I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it." -Groucho Marx

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Noldor who left may have spent years dreaming of returning to Tirion, but that doesn't mean finally getting there after the War of Wrath is as simple as they imagined.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 131
Posted on 5 August 2022 Updated on 5 August 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh! 

Not quite what anyone had hoped for, no.

But still so much better than nobody coming back would have been!

I hope their mother can cope, as she was already frail.

And I hope they can all cope well enough, as a family, to welcome Glinwen as she deserves.

Ow, that must have been quite the shock to those who stayed behind (or were born later). They obviously knew elves had died in Beleriand, but I can imagine the reality of it didn't quite sink in until they saw how few came back. I'm glad at least one of Vilisse's siblings returned (Vilisse is delightful, I just met and I'm already quite fond of her). And I hope Glinwen will also receive a warm welcome! 

Well this was quite an emotional ride - up and down and up and down! 

The sadness of not having them all return, the joy of having any return, the bittersweetness of a home that doesn't quite accommodate everyone yet, but the love of family new and old ??

Oh, what a bittersweet experience for Vilissë, and also shocking, and intriguing.

"those who had spent more than just the earliest bit of their childhood in the light of the Trees were as a rule taller than those begotten later" — I like that Treelight conveyed greater amounts of growth hormone.

"her family had been larger" — And the parallel here...

"Both looked older than they had when they left Tirion, though it had not been all that many years. Was that because of the war, Vilissë wondered, or because of Beleriand itself?" — Ahh, more effects of the lands beyond Aman? Interesting thought.

"It was not to their families they turned first, but to each other, embracing the comrades at their sides before they took their leave of each other." — Yes. After so long, as eager a they may be to see their families, the experiences they've shared would create bonds at least as tight.