Sauron vs Finrod in Eregion by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My entry for the monthly challenge Zingers. Prompt: I would prefer a battle of wits, but you appear unarmed. (The quote has conflicting attributions so no clear credit.) A drabble (100 words) and an accompanying art. Also my entry for Silvergifting Week.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Gwaith-i-Mírdain turn a famous duel into a stage play.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Sauron

Major Relationships: Celebrimbor/Sauron

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 10 August 2022 Updated on 10 August 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Drabble (100 words).

Sauron vs Finrod in Eregion

That summer, the Mírdain decided to perform the Lay of Leithian. They gave Sauron’s role to Celebrimbor. He insisted on Annatar acting the role of Finrod because he looked the part – and was the best singer. At dress rehearsal, Celebrimbor wore a black cape with fur collar and an iron crown he had made for the play. He looked down at Annatar standing before his throne. Their eyes met. A pleasant shiver filled his body.

It occurred to Celebrimbor to improvise.

“I would prefer a battle of wits, but you appear unarmed.”

Annatar collapsed before the throne, howling with laughter.



Never mind Annatar collapsing in howls of laughter, I totally cracked up! This is hilarious! And completely out of left field! I love the drabble, and your art is just classic — it looks like you caught Annatar in the brief fraction of a second where he's struggling to contain himself before he gives up and loses it completely.