With All Due Respect... by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A teaser from the Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang fic with the additional inspirational quote: "I'm not insulting you, I'm describing you" from the Zinger challenge

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Caranthir pens a letter to his cousin, seeking assistance for the People of Haleth.

 

A teaser from the Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang 2022 fic Wanderlust which is now available to read in full on AO3

Major Characters: Caranthir, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships: Caranthir & Finrod

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, Humor

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 194
Posted on 10 August 2022 Updated on 4 September 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Yávië, Year 376 of the Sun per Sindarin Reckoning

 

 

Read Yávië, Year 376 of the Sun per Sindarin Reckoning

Unto Findaráto Arafinwion, who hath seen fit to style himself King in Nargothrond,

From thy half-cousin, Carnistir Morifinwë Fëanorion, Prince of the Noldor by blood, who holds Thargelion in siege of our Foe, guardian of those lands which lay beyond the Gelion:
 

Regards, 

I write thee to request that thou wouldst undertake on my behalf a matter which concerns the Aftercomers who now cross the mountains in ever greater numbers.

As thou hast cunningly installed thyself in the good graces of King Thingol of Doriath, and seem to have some claim on his attentions; and as thou holdest a general inclination toward friendship with the Edain, I ask that thou wouldst speak on behalf of a people who have suffered great losses at the hand of our Enemy and seek to remove further west into those lands claimed by either Doriath or thyself.

Their leader, Haleth, hath proven herself a valiant and capable warrior, and I would see them well-settled if it can be contrived.

I am certain some compensation for thine effort could be negotiated should the House of Haleth find thy lands accommodating.

With all due … etc.

Moryo


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is hilarious. Even the title is an insult (per Sindarin reckoning). And the greetings: "who hath seen fit to style himself King in Nargothrond" hahaha. (He has a point honestly). 

Say what you will about Caranthir, he's clever with his insults. I bet Finrod can appreciate that. 

Hm, sounds like there might be a little less than all due respect there, or the letter writer considers there isn't much respect due - "who hath seen fit to style himself"?

(Interesting way to start a letter asking for a favor, Carnistir...)

Oh Moryo, you pompous ass!

I love the way he styles Finrod, and then himself. And the "with all due ...  etc." made me snort!

Looking forward to enjoying the rest after TRSB reveals.