Lay Down by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My original prompt for the Zingers challenge was this one:

I told him to be himself; that was pretty mean, I guess. - Mad Men

I requested a second one, which was:

“I can't bear fools.” “Apparently your mother could.”

I've ended up using both prompts below, but I can't vouch for it that the use I made of them here makes complete narrative sense, exactly. This is not the most coherent work I have ever written, which may have something to do with the kind of month it was for me... I hope the kind readers will connect up the dots between the sections of the ficlet a bit and do part of the job for me! 

The reason why this is "chooses not to warn" is not so much anything that actually happens in the ficlet itself, but the canonical suicidal vibes that appear to connect Miriel and Maedhros.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Some time before the incident in which Feanor drew his sword on Fingolfin, Maedhros visits Miriel in Lorien.

Late in First-Age Beleriand, things continue not to be all right.

Major Characters: Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Ficlet

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 727
Posted on 13 August 2022 Updated on 13 August 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

For help with the name salad, if required, see end notes.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh.

Oh, dear Maitimo, I'm so sorry.

"like a monument to herself" — this!

"preserved in a way that seems a little unnatural even for Valinor" — oh, the obsession! (It's like the Valar are afraid of death. Like overprotective parents.)

"As he lies, he becomes aware of other sensations" — I imagine he adapted this technique to survive Thangorodrim.

Himring, I must say I'm inspired by the way you incorporated the prompts. (I was simply not in a mood to insult anyone, but it never occurred to me to twist and tweak them a little.)

I sort of felt apologetic to Maitimo myself after writing this.

There is something quite uneasy-making about all that business with Miriel, I feel, in more than one way. Good to hear that my observations here resonated with you!

An interesting suggestion about Thangorodrim!

I think, by the end, Maedhros may be in a state where he is habitually trying to ignore a lot of things and allowing himself to become aware is always a bit like a crash landing, perhaps.