The Leafless Winter by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Re: Suicide warning:  Elwing's leap into the sea at Sirion is discussed in the context of her remembering how it felt and that she did not expect to survive.

The first chapter of this fic was written in response to the SWG Zingers challenge for the prompt: "I never forget a face, but in your case, I'll make an exception." (No clear attribution.)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Though Elwing did not speak, Nienna seemed to know her thoughts. "Few of the Eldar come to stay long in my halls," she said, "but they are open to all. Will you come there?"

Major Characters: Elwing, Fingon, Gandalf, Nienna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: Zingers

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Suicide

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 5, 410
Posted on 14 August 2022 Updated on 27 December 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


So beautiful.  I'm glad she goes to find healing with Nienna in the end, and of course Olorin ?

I love stories that acknowledge that the pain of such events is not so easy to brush aside, even with just 'time'.

This is lovely -- the farthest shore with its waters empty of shells is a piercing image. I had never thought to send Elwing to Nienna --  yet it makes wonderful sense, and I hope she finds comfort there.

I can see how Dior's decision would be difficult for Elwing.

I hope Nienna and Olorin can help her!

The descriptions are great, as always!

(I think you were considering allowing Elwing to punch Caranthir? I think the scene as you wrote it works better, despite being so painful.)

I am enjoying this very much! All the landscape descriptions are lovely -- like that note about Ekkaia being empty of shellfish.