After the Storm Waves by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Restoration and Rebuilding Challenge, at an insta-drabbling session.

A double drabble for two prompts:

  • the first drabble for an image prompt showing a row of old brick houses, with windows and blinds elegantly refitted in black, surrounded by muddy puddles,
  • the second drabble for the quotation prompt: When the storm has passed, put your energy into rebuilding your life. Don’t waste time looking back. - Leon Brown

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Downfall of Numenor has also inflicted considerable damage on settlements in Lindon.

When Elendil's ships arrive, Cirdan considers how to put up those Numenoreans who escaped the Downfall.

Major Characters: Círdan, Elendil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Akallabêth in August, Restoration and Rebuilding

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 203
Posted on 20 August 2022 Updated on 28 August 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

No warnings for the actual content, but note the implications of the summary and be prepared for allusions to Numenor's past. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh my, yes!  The drowning of Númenor would create an enormously destuctive tsunami, wouldn't it. I do like Círdan's line of thinking here, appreciating Noldoran craftsmanship, and considering the needs of the newly homeless islanders.

And Elendil — he knew something was coming, but I'd never for a moment considered that he'd not really thought he'd be king. Whooph! That's a lot for the man to have land on his shoulders, what with everything else, including homelessness.

A thoughtful pair of drabbles that I really enjoyed.

Thank you very much!

The enormously destructive tsunami is canonical, although we are told more details how it affected the coastline of Gondor. Here I am assuming that in Lindon there was some destruction, but it mostly affected parts of the port area rather than any living quarters.

Elendil's family seem to have a long history of being loyal to the royal family despite all the religious and political differences. They only rebelled at the very last moment. So it seems that would require some thinking through. Of course, they have their share of Numenorean pride! But still, it seems to me that it was a far more obvious move for Isildur and Anarion to become leaders in Gondor, where there were substantial number of Faithful settled in Pelargir (but also more Black Numenoreans close by), than for Elendil to establish a kingdom in Arnor.

As he recovers in the temporary accommodation thoughtfully provided by Círdan in Lindon, I like that Elendil wonders whether his family should just waltz onto the mainland after the destruction of Númenor and take over as if they are already entitled to rule. It has always felt a little bit unbelievable that they sail in with a "Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come" and immediately are kings with minimal local opposition or fuss. Settlements need building! The populace may need to be persuaded to acknowledge you! 

I agree! As I've mentioned to Anerea above, we are given clearer hints why that might work for his sons in Gondor.

I can't pretend that Elendil having any self-doubts is canonical, but the circumstances do suggest to me that perhaps he ought to have had them, so I have preferred to give him some!