Friendship and Stern Demand by polutropos

| | |

Fanwork Notes

When thinking about and discussing the letters of “friendship and yet of stern demand” that Maedhros sent to the Havens, I have often said, “I would so love to read those.” So, I decided to take a stab at writing them. See some of my thoughts behind these in the chapter endnotes.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The letters exchanged between Maedhros Fëanorion and Elwing Dioriel, c. FA 534-537.

Major Characters: Elwing, Maedhros

Major Relationships: Elwing & Maedhros

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 885
Posted on 5 December 2022 Updated on 7 December 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Names that do not appear in the The Silmarillion are footnoted at the end of the chapter.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Lovely, beautiful, sweeping, epic work! I found this while searching for all things Elwing and I couldn't be happier. As for the point of canon that you could not keep, I wholeheartedly agree with your retelling. Elwing is the heir to Doriath, and she is the keeper of the Silmaril, so I would find it the most reasonable reading that the people of Balar would recognize her as a leader, especially since Earendil was always gone at sea. 

It can feel like the book wants us to think that Elwing's entire being is wrapped around Earendil, so it is exciting to find and see otherwise. 

Thank you so much for the comment! Glad to hear a search for Elwing turns up this fic because, as you said, I tried to give her her own voice here. I love the idea that the people of Sirion see her as their leader but Maedhros still assumes (to begin with) that Earendil is their leader. 

The Silmarillion does seem to "wrap her around Earendil" (I like that phrasing) but I do like the detail that he chose the life of an Elf for her sake <3.