for time runs more swiftly than justice by Arveldis

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Ever since I first read the Athrabeth, I've been struck by Finrod's line about "in every stroke that [Aegnor] deals he sees the Enemy who long ago did thee this hurt." I've always taken it both as Finrod acknowledging/validating Andreth's belief about Morgoth's curse upon Men and as a subtle implication that Aegnor, too, believes what Andreth says. (And furthermore, I don't doubt that Andreth would have discussed her belief with Aegnor before doing so with Finrod.) I've wanted to probe this idea for some time and explore the foundation of Aegnor's desire to strike against Morgoth in retaliation to the wound he dealt Men. You can read a little more of my headcanon about this here on my Tumblr.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“And yet is it not the greater folly to imagine that such love could never grow between our kinds? Was it not folly for us to be made thus and yet driven to dwell together and take up arms together?” She cupped his face in her hand, beseeching him. “Would not the One, who your people say commands the Music of the world—though my people hear it not—have surely foreseen such a grief? And if he did foresee such grief and did nothing, allowing it to pass, what difference is there between his allowance and his will? And if he did will such a grief, then how can your people say that he is good?”

Andreth shares with Aegnor what the Wise say of Men's original nature, and of the wound dealt to them by Morgoth.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Andreth

Major Relationships: Aegnor/Andreth

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Het, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 630
Posted on 19 August 2022 Updated on 19 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.