Pinching Time by Anérea

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Created for the Gnome Tome Challenge, inspired by the prompt "The Valar cannot undo history without undoing Ea".

This prompt immediately made me wonder what "undoing Eä" would actually look like, with images of stars and nebulae swirling through my mind's eye, before I wondered what the quote was actually referencing. After reading the relevant section in NoME I decided my initial imagery would be far more fun to work with. And then I saw the mind-blowingly beautiful Pillars of Creation (Varda's hand here) at the centre of the Eagle Nebula, which Varda said she was particularly proud of and that she'd gladly pose for me...

(While this version of Varda may be more curious than evil, elennalore's AU version of Varda could well have pinched more than a little time to suit her purposes. I recommend reading her versions of the destruction of the Two Lamps: Radiance—also written for a Gnome Tome challenge prompt: 'any one of the Valar might have taken the paths of Melkor and become like him: one was enough''.)

Fanwork Information

Description:

Varda experiments with undoing just a wee bit of history...

Major Characters: Varda

Major Relationships:

Genre: General

Type: Drawing/Painting

Challenges: Gnome Tome

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 1 November 2021 Updated on 18 March 2023

Varda undoing Eä

I imagined Varda sneaking off into the universe to see what happened if she pinched some Time—just a teeny-weeny-tiny little bit of it...

Varda undoing Eä

End Notes

The photograph of the Eagle Nebula is courtesy of NoirLab. I have fiddled it a bit to fit my idea so you can view the full original image at noirlab.edu/public/images/noao-04086

But I really recommend popping over to NASA where you can watch an awe-inspiring 30 second video zooming into the aptly named Pillars of Creation at the centre of this nebula (Varda's hand), which is an active star-forming region hiding newborn stars (ironically): www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/messier-16-the-eagle-nebula

Although I cognitively know that I am a really, really small part of an indescribably big thing, this made me really feel it. Well, a teeny-weeny-tiny bit...

.

Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.