The Horns of Ylmir by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the prompt: Tuor is enticed to sail into the West by the conches of Ulmo (The Book of Lost Tales)

It took some doing to narrow down this passage.  I supplemented with the poem The Horns of Ylmir which also touches on this theme, and the fic includes a quote from the poem.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The sea-longing returns to Tuor, and he hopes he might be allowed to sail West, for the miseries of Middle-earth only grow and no place feels safe enough.

Major Characters: Círdan, Eärendil, Idril, Tuor, Voronwë

Major Relationships: Idril/Tuor, Tuor & Voronwë, Tuor/Voronwë

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Rejects

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 536
Posted on 20 April 2023 Updated on 20 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really like this! And I like how you incorporated the poem as well. (Which I fell in love with at first sight!)

Although it's inspired by an earlier draft, it also doesn't contradict canon,  and it seems completely sensible that he's called West by the Ulumúri.

And the call of fate continues through the generations: "Look for me"...

Lovely!

Thank you so much!  Yeah, the prompt took me a bit to kind of wrap my head around for the challenge since I was really expecting more of an AU kind of thing, something that contradicts the more generally accepted events, and this only added detail - but once I made peace with that I loved it since this is exactly the kind of fic I love writing!  <3

It's so beautiful! I could really feel Tuor Sea longing in my own heart (at this time of the year I also want to go to the sea so bad) and I love that Voronwe's sense of frinedship wil take him anywhere Tuor will go, the same goes for Idril.

And Earendill has received the fate of his father, to search for a home that lies beyond the horizon...

Again, beautiful!! <3<3

I really like how grounded/down to earth this is, with details like the color of the sails and how real you make the Havens with just a few words. I'm glad the three of them are going together, and I hope they do manage to arrive safely.