Cranesbill by Chestnut_pod

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Note: A bit of pervasive general anti-migrant/anti-Umbarian/anti-Harad sentiment, and fear of the consequences thereof.

Pelargir, pelargonium… coincidence? I think not.

Written for Tolkien Ekphrasis Week 2023, for Day 4, Gardening and Landscape Architecture, plus a little bit of optional theme "exile from the garden." There's also botanical illustration, oil painting, hairdressing, and some fast talking, to cover my bases. This was meant to be a quick little piece of wordplay.

Many thanks to Anérea for sharing your favorite pelargoniums!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

As the bells began to ring alarms at another five black-sailed Corsair ships hoving into view, Ulloth’s mind and pen alighted upon the pelargoloth, her namesake, the common and beloved flower of the city’s balconies and courtyards, just opening its scarlet petals with the dawn of the the Second Siege of Pelargir.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Elanor Gardner

Major Relationships: Original Character & Original Character, Elanor Gardner & Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: In-Universe Racism/Ethnocentrism, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 14, 062
Posted on 15 June 2023 Updated on 16 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Chestnut_pod has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Fulfilled Intent, Organization/Structure, Sensitivity Read, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.