Mercy by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was originally posted on 21 December 2013 as a holiday gift for my wonderful comod ford_of_bruinen, who asked for the deaths of the 3Cs and the desertion of Elured and Elurin. Happy holidays indeed! The story was archived here on 4 August 2013, with minor revisions.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celegorm fell first at Doriath and heard not the call of Mandos. He watches his two brothers fall in turn, and then his spirit finds two children in the forest, where he will realize his final purpose.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Eluréd, Elurín, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 759
Posted on 21 December 2005 Updated on 21 December 2005

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


*puts the tissue box aside*  This is a chilling, yet emotional piece. The way he describes his life, the love for his brothers and his surprise that they weep for him.

For me?

I don’t know that I deserve it. Not when there remains a Silmaril to pursue, for surely, grief for my death can wait. But the Silmaril, the reason for my death: let them find it. Let them find it and avoid this end.

It is a different motivation to claim the jewels, to avoid the everlasting dark that has driven him so far. I can't help to think, again, that he only followed his family, roused them over and over to retrieve the jewels, avoid the everlasting dark and return home again. To that orchyard with apples, to a warm bed with the woman he loved... I wish for him so, but instead he makes sure that the young twin brothers will not linger... and *pop* more plotbunnies popped up what the houseless Fëa of Celegorm could have done after this. He is what he is, no excuses made and that is what I do love to read when reading (and writing) Celegorm fic. I better put on some tevlon boots now...

 

Thank you again, Rhapsy, for showing my oldies some love! :D

When I first read the Silm, I just got this overwhelming sense of weariness when reading of the Feanorions' pursuit of the oath. Something impulsive done in a moment of extreme emotional stress became something that haunted them for centuries and took their lives one by one ... so I definitely think they would have just wanted it to be over as much as any other motive to reclaim the Silmarils. It's funny because the Silmarils hold, literally, what remains of the Light of Valinor, symbolic of the bliss found there, and in retrieving them and ending the oath, perhaps the Feanorions did hope to reclaim that bliss, even as just a reprieve from relentless vengeance with the chance to resume working to actually build a society worthy of their talents and potential.

Plotbunnies, indeed! :D