As the Hare Flees Before the Wolf by Arveldis

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Domestic abuse is mentioned briefly, and there is a very brief episode of physical violence (not in an abuse situation).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celegorm took the javelin from the beast, examining it. He ran his finger over the blade, where the poison glistened in the sunlight, then sniffed his finger. His gaze flicked up to Eöl’s. Eöl thought to see anger or triumph flicker in the Elf-lord’s eyes, but they were cold and impassive, and when he spoke, his voice was deadly quiet. “I wonder: Who was this meant for—your wife, or your son?”

Eöl felt the blood drain from his face, and he reached for the hilt of his sword.

Curufin is not the only son of Fëanor Eöl meets upon the plains of Himlad.

Or, Eöl meets Celegorm while pursuing Aredhel and Maeglin, and things go very badly for him.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Eöl

Major Relationships: Celegorm & Eöl

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Suspense

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 869
Posted on 6 July 2023 Updated on 6 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.

As the Hare Flees Before the Wolf

Written for Tolkien Gen Week Day 3: Enemies

Read As the Hare Flees Before the Wolf

The light of the open plains burned in Eöl’s eyes as he urged his horse onward, heedless of the wind lashing at his face. Again and again he cursed the names of his wife and son, turning their names into a drumbeat of rage that pounded steadily with the beat of Morroch’s hooves.

Aredhel, as faithless as the rest of her kin, bending to Maeglin’s whims and treachery as soon as Eöl’s gaze was turned away from her. And Maeglin, whose hatred had festered under the eaves of Nan Elmoth, and turned into a foul, fetid malignancy.

They would be punished justly, and his servants as well for not noticing their escape. He knew now that none could be trusted.

Eöl ground the reins into his palms and dug his heels into Morroch’s sides. He focused on the ground streaming beneath the horse’s hooves, averting his gaze from the accursed sun that burned high overhead.

Thus it was that he did not notice the half-ring of Elves that stood barring his passage, until a cold voice called for him to halt, and looking up and narrowing his eyes against the light, he found himself penned.

Eöl noted the light in their eyes, bright and burning with unearthly brilliance, and he resisted the urge to spit at their feet. Noldor. And sons or followers of Fëanor no less, for they wore the eight-pointed stars of all his ilk.

As Eöl drew Morroch to a halt, one of the Elves called to him, his voice mocking. “What errand have you in these lands that one so sun-shy as you would brave the sunlight? A matter of haste, perhaps?” 

Though bitter anger rose in his heart, Eöl mastered his features and did the Elves courtesy, knowing his danger. Dismounting and bowing his head, he said, “I beg your leave, lords. I am following my wife and son, who departed from Nan Elmoth two days ago, while I was away. They rode to visit you, and I, seeing it fitting, sought to join them on their errand.”

“We marked their passing,” the leader of the Elves said, “though they did not halt to greet us, nor indeed stay with us, for that was not their errand.” He was pale and fair-haired, and in his hand he held a great hunting bow. He wore a wolf pelt about his shoulders, pinned in place with an eight-pointed star that was larger and glinted more brightly than those of the Elves around him, save for the dark-haired Elf that stood to his right, his posture languid but his gaze sharp. They were the lords Celegorm and Curufin, then, the cruellest of all of Fëanor’s cursed spawn. Curufin it was who had first called to Eöl, mocking him.

Celegorm dismounted and stepped forward, handing his bow to his brother. “We suffered them to pass, for their need seemed great, and their flight was as hares that flee before the hunting wolf.” His voice was fluid and sinuous, a voice that entrapped and ensnared.

“So either you seek to deceive us or you are yourself deceived, Eöl,” he continued. “I would warn you that it will fare better for you if it is the latter that is the truth, though I doubt that one such as you is capable of truth.” The Elf-lord’s face was cruel and perilous, and the scornful glance of his eyes as his gaze swept over Eöl in one dismissive motion sent rage burning through him. 

But Eöl held his tongue and stood still and straight before Celegorm as the Elf paced slowly around him, his pale hair glinting in the harsh sunlight of the open plain. Although fear trickled through him, he tilted his chin. He would not be cowed by a kinslayer, perilous though Celegorm was.

Eöl mastered his expression as the Elf-lord again paced in front of him. “Perhaps, Lord Celegorm, you will give me leave to depart so that I might discover the truth of this matter.”

Celegorm stopped and laughed coldly. “And so let the fox loose from the trap so that he might again feast in the henhouse? I think not. It shall be decided here, with my brother and our men as witnesses.” He motioned to the Elves behind him.

He resumed pacing. “How would you bid us to decide in this matter, Dark Elf? To trust the words of one whose speech does not align with his actions, or to trust rather the counsel of my heart, which urges me to consider why the Lady Aredhel and her son seemed to flee as if the very hounds of Morgoth were upon them, and why you, not two days later, fly at their heels even in the light of the sun?”

“You misread the matter, Lord Celegorm,” Eöl said. 

“Do I? Tell me the truth of it, then.”

Though Eöl felt his peril growing, he straightened as much as he could and answered, “My wife does not understand the customs of my house, and she suffers from an affliction of the mind, for I regret to say that she has weakened in mind and spirit since the birth of our son, and strange notions have entered her mind that never would have before. A healer has advised that she remain at home, where my servants can keep her in comfort and banish her delusions of discontent. Surely, kinsman, you understand now why I ride with haste after her. I fear for her well-being and that of my son, whom she surely has convinced to believe her delusions to be truthful.”

Celegorm came to a stop in front of him, and any trace of mockery had left his face, which had turned suddenly stern and cold. “Those who steal the daughters of the Noldor should be less heedless with their tongues, if they value the gift of speech. I name you no kin of mine, Dark Elf.”

Eöl stiffened. “I did not steal what came to me willingly.”

“Did she, or was she ensnared by the enchantments and entrapments you have long devised in the secret hollows and twisting paths of the forest? Do not think word of your work has not spread from the shadowed eaves of Nan Elmoth.”

Eöl’s lips twisted into a snarl. “Why should I bandy words with one who slaughtered his own kin?” he spat. He whirled and reached for his javelin, which was fastened to his saddle.

With a growl, the beast standing next to Celegorm lunged forward and wrested the javelin from Eöl’s hand.

Celegorm took the javelin from the beast, examining it. He ran his finger over the blade, where the poison glistened in the sunlight, then sniffed his finger. His gaze flicked up to Eöl’s. Eöl thought to see anger or triumph flicker in the Elf-lord’s eyes, but they were cold and impassive, and when he spoke, his voice was deadly quiet. “I wonder: Who was this meant for—your wife, or your son?”

Eöl felt the blood drain from his face, and he reached for the hilt of his sword.

But the Elf-lord was faster. In one fluid movement, the cold blade of a hunting knife pressed against Eöl’s throat, and Celegorm’s lips brushed Eöl’s hair as he whispered, “Who is the kinslayer now, I wonder? For all our misdeeds, we have never slaughtered our wives or children.”

Gritting his teeth in anger, Eöl kept his gaze fixed ahead, not allowing the Elf the pleasure of seeing his fear, though his heart hammered in his chest.

Celegorm withdrew the knife from Eöl’s neck, and before he could react, the Elf-lord wrenched Eöl’s hand up and swiftly drew the blade of the javelin head across his palm in a stinging slice.

Cold dread trickled down Eol’s spine, and his face contorted in fury as he looked up at Celegorm. “Thou art a kinslayer twice over, son of Fëanor.”

Celegorm said nothing in response, now flint-eyed and in a perilous mood, and he stepped back and addressed the encircling Elves. “Though his words are honeyed lies, his hands have shown the truth of his dark purposes, and he has felt the bite of his own poison. He will be dead by morning, perhaps, but there is now the matter of what to do in the hours until dawn.”

Even now Eöl felt the poison enter his veins, and his heart quailed. “Will you not release me to die as I see fit, or at the least kill me swiftly—or will you not suffer even those comforts, kinslayer?”

The Elf-lord’s smile as he turned upon Eöl was wolf-sharp, and Eöl knew now that the peril he had felt before had been merely a shadow of the peril he now faced. “To hasten the hour of your death would be too merciful, Dark Elf. Do not forget that I once followed Oromë. I can deliver mercy and withhold it just as easily.”

“You would break all laws of the Eldar.” Eöl looked from Celegorm to the other Elves, beseeching. But there was no kindness to be found in their gazes.

“You would have had Irissë die even as you do now, in slow agony of pain unrelenting. Is it not just that you should feel the same fear that she would have?” The light in Celegorm's eyes was wild and fey, and Eöl cowered beneath his glance.

“What will you now do with me?”

A smile curved Celegorm’s lips. “The hunt is about to begin, and we are in need of prey.”

Eöl paled, even as the Elves’ voices rose in laughter, and he leapt atop Morroch and dug his heels in, lashing the ends of the reins against the horse’s flank. Still laughing, the Elves parted as Morroch broke through their half-ring and lengthened his stride into a gallop.

As they fled over the plains, Eöl leaned low over Morroch’s neck and peered back over his shoulder.

Already, Celegorm, Curufin, and their followers outfitted themselves for a hunt. The great hunting bow hung at Celegorm’s back, and Curufin held a tall spear that glinted in the sun. Their followers leapt astride their horses, and hounds milled about the horse’s legs. Celegorm ordered the formation of the riders, and the hounds gathered in front, Celegorm’s slavering beast foremost.

With a cry of fear, Eöl urged Morroch faster, until sweat flecked the horse’s dark flanks, and foam showed about his mouth.

The sharp blasting of horns carried over the plains, and the baying of the hounds joined the bitter cries of the hunters. A howl rose above the din, louder than that of any wolf that stalked the dark forests of Beleriand.

And above all came the sound of cold laughter carried on the wind.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


....and awful. Eöl would have let Aredhel and their son die slowly of poison, but Celegorm, having used Eöl's own poison against him, turns it into a hunt. Brutal, but fascinating. And lovely writing. 

Bordering on wish fulfillment, but at the same time definitely in-character; I enjoyed seeing Eöl get his comeuppance in the most direct, though perhaps least politically acceptable manner, especially as Celegorm's decision is informed by his past service to Oromë.