As the Hare Flees Before the Wolf by Arveldis

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Domestic abuse is mentioned briefly, and there is a very brief episode of physical violence (not in an abuse situation).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celegorm took the javelin from the beast, examining it. He ran his finger over the blade, where the poison glistened in the sunlight, then sniffed his finger. His gaze flicked up to Eöl’s. Eöl thought to see anger or triumph flicker in the Elf-lord’s eyes, but they were cold and impassive, and when he spoke, his voice was deadly quiet. “I wonder: Who was this meant for—your wife, or your son?”

Eöl felt the blood drain from his face, and he reached for the hilt of his sword.

Curufin is not the only son of Fëanor Eöl meets upon the plains of Himlad.

Or, Eöl meets Celegorm while pursuing Aredhel and Maeglin, and things go very badly for him.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Eöl

Major Relationships: Celegorm & Eöl

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Suspense

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 869
Posted on 6 July 2023 Updated on 6 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Written for Tolkien Gen Week Day 3: Enemies


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


....and awful. Eöl would have let Aredhel and their son die slowly of poison, but Celegorm, having used Eöl's own poison against him, turns it into a hunt. Brutal, but fascinating. And lovely writing. 

Bordering on wish fulfillment, but at the same time definitely in-character; I enjoyed seeing Eöl get his comeuppance in the most direct, though perhaps least politically acceptable manner, especially as Celegorm's decision is informed by his past service to Oromë.