Shadow's Scribbles 2023 - Silmarillion Edition by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Some of the collages make use of picrew images generated using the following picrew.

Unless otherwise stated, photographs are part of the freely useable collection from the canva app.

Fanwork Information

Description:

The gallery of my Silmarillion themed arts for Scribbles & Drabbles 2023. Featuring a myriad of characters and art types.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Genre:

Type: Drawing/Painting, Fiber/Textile Art, Moodboard/Collage

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 12 August 2023 Updated on 12 August 2023

Mirrored in his silver shield

Prompt:

Set shortly after Celebrían sails. Arwen struggling through figuring out her romantic identity. Elrond gives her Gil-Galad’s journals (who was aro-ace), and Arwen learns about the man her father held so dear (If you want to give Elrond and Gil-Galad’s relationship queer-platonic vibes, I would adore that). You could also include Gil-Galad watching from the afterlife!

A 7 part photo collage. Upper left corner: An image of a flame. Bottom left corner: a harp on a dark background. Centre top: A human silhouette carrying a spear at a stony beach. Centre-middle: the aro-ace pride flag of horizontal stripes. Top to bottom: orange, yellow, white, light blue, dark blue. Centre-bottom: A photograph of a diary. The writing is illegible. Upper right corner: A starry night sky over some mountains. Bottom right corner: A statue carrying a spear and shield.

Chapter End Notes

Context: A year or two ago, someone prompted me aromantic Arwen for a fic and the idea was so intriguing, I still haven't let it go. If you have read any of my other Gil-Galad fics, you probably already know that I headcanon him to be aro-ace, and I adore the idea that Gil-Galad helps Arwen figure out her identity, even if he isn't physically present.


Friends in the Forest

Prompt:

Queer-platonic Beleg, Nellas and Mablung. I would like to see an adventure, potentially how they find the cat (Gwennod for Elderberry).

Character appearances are not true to my own headcanons, but unfortunately limited by the images available to me.

A collage of 9 images: top left corner: a dark haired elf lying in the grass. Centre-left: a sunlit forest. Bottom left corner: a blonde elf looking up to the sky. Bottom left centre: A red-haired archer from behind. Centre-top: The exit of a cavern. Centre-middle: a grey kitten. Centre-bottom right: a flowing river. Top-right corner: a white hand picking berries. Bottom-right corner: a wooden bridge.

Chapter End Notes

Context: A continuation/prequel to one of my TRSB fics from 2022. Occasionally you just have to adopt out your headcanons and hope someone else will fill in the gaps.


She-Cat-igans

Prompt: Modern AU. Nerdanel has acquired a cat and named it after her dead husband (or maybe Feanor's ghost is stuck in a cats body?)

Now that Nerdanel has found a new partner, the cat is interfering with the relationship...

Queer relationships strongly encouraged, Cat!Feanor is not allowed to break up the relationship, humour mandatory.

A collage of four images and coloured accents in brown and beige tones. Top left corner: Textbox with Nerdanel in a cursive font. light writing on a orange-brown background. Bottom left corner: A red-haired person with a flower braided in their hair. Centre-bottom: a clay statue being shaped. Top right corner: a grey tabby cat. Centre right: a white hand in front of a brown tunic. Bottom right: Textbox of Feanaro in dark cursive font on a beige background.

Chapter End Notes

Context: Cat!Feanor has been in our FAQs for two years now, time for someone to finally make some art about it!


Above the clouds

Prompt: Manwe spending time with bird friends.

A 3 part collage: Left hand side: a photograph of some clouds in a blue sky. Top right: An eagle soaring above the cloads, backlit by sunshine. Bottom right: Sunlit mountains. In the centre is a circular section of text: "Manwe Sulimo, Lord of the Skies, Elder King"

Feanturi & sister

Prompt:

An abstract piece encouraging you to write about Nienna, Námo and Irmo (and Gorgumoth, because I love him).

Intended for aro-ace Nienna. Gender-weird Valar encouraged.

A digital painting: in the centre, there is a bright yellow dot. It is surrounded by a multi-coloured spiral pattern made up of grey, brown, blue and purplish hues.

Maiar of the Skies

Prompt: Write a story about Tilion, Arien and Ilmare. Queer-platonic relationships, gender-weirdness and poc characters strongly encouraged.

A 4 part collage: Top left: Image of a starry sky in pink hues. Bottom left: Textbox reading "Arien, Ilmare, Tilion" in white font on purple background. Top right: Sunlit clouds. Bottom right: A photograph of the moon

Lullaby

Prompt:

Very open-ended. Any characters, any place, any time. A bed-time story, a lullaby or maybe just looking up at the night sky. The possibilities are endless.

A digital painting: A blue gradient going from dark to lighter blue horizontal stripes (top to bottom). In the upper right is a yellow half-moon.

Forging Family

Prompt:

Celebrimbor, son of Curufin, in Gondolin. Aredhel semi-intentionally kidnapped him and that’s how he ended up in Gondolin. Celebrimbor as Maeglin’s older sibling figure. Aredhel and Rog talking about their kids. Fall of Gondolin optional. I don’t mind a bit of angst, but if you choose to go that route give me happy times beforehand.

Trans Maeglin and/or Celebrimbor mandatory.

Rog as a nephew of Mahtan (that’s why he has the beard. I hc it’s genetic). Rog being a dad to Celebrimbor and Maeglin. The three of them in the forges together. Rog being supportive of their gender identities.

A 6 part collage. Top left: A photograph of a smithy. Top right: A picrew image of a red-haired, dark skinned, bearded elf. Centre left: A picrew image of a dirty blonde/brunette, dark skinned elf. Centre right: A sword being forged. Bottom left: a photograph of bright orange flames. Bottom right: A picrew image of a silver-haired, pale-skinned elf.

Chapter End Notes

Once again, I'm adopting out headcanons in the hopes that someone will run away with them <3


Crafting buddies

Prompt:

Mahtan and Aule friendship. Size difference. smol Aule, tol Mahtan. Mahtan gaining the beard because he's spending so much time with Aule.

A photograph of two toiletpaper tube figures, with crocheted, bright red hair. Faces are drawn on the toiletpaper tubes in pencil. The right figure consists of two tubes stacked on top of each other.

Chapter End Notes

Context:

Yet another prompt that was born simply because toiletpaper tube elves have been on the list of acceptable art works for two years now.

I'm grateful for the many amigurumi hair tutorials on youtube for helping me figure out how to make their hair.



Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.