Choice Fruits by cuarthol, Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Inspired by Dawn's heart-wrenching story The GiftHeavily suggested you read that fic first for context (and consider leaving a comment if you enjoyed it!)

I was so drawn in by the character of Terentaulë in this story I felt I had to add her part.  Very grateful to Dawn for letting me play with her OC and hope I did her justice.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Terentaulë makes her choice; but in the end, they were both fruit of the same tree.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Celegorm, Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Understory

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 341
Posted on 26 November 2023 Updated on 26 November 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Choice Fruits

Read Choice Fruits

He is a summer apple, thin-skinned and sharp.  Not a fruit to be eaten straight from the tree.  A little sugar, a little softening, to make him more palatable.  But she enjoys his company and his smiles.  He is generous with praise and attention, and she is shy and accommodating.

She knows whose son he is, and that tempers her responses, for it is a tree which would require much tending.

There is a foolishness in calling on him.  She practices her excuse as the miles pass beneath her feet, and her courage almost fails when she lifts her hand to knock.

His brother is crisp and tart, full of flavor, rich juices running down her chin and over her fingers.  Blackberry and honey and cinnamon, and she cannot get enough.  Bees in her heart, butterflies in her stomach, blossoms in her eyes; she is a wild summer meadow in his company, and he, warmth and light in which she grows.

But it is the younger who first asks.  Unwilling to give a firm answer, the sorrow in his eyes and voice forces her reluctant tongue.  The words of indecision are heavy in her mouth.  

Though he is pleasing, inviting, it is not he who has made her heart flower.

But his brother does not ask.

She chides herself for imagining more affection than was there, foolish hope by a foolish girl.  In the branches of the trees that once held them she waters her orchard with weeping.

In the end she finds she will accept him as her brother if she cannot have him as a husband.  He remains wild and full of life, and when he holds her son her secret heart wishes it was their child.  They laugh, and she does not see the echo of her own pain in his eyes.

In the end, she finds she cannot accept either of them.  Their swords, more bitter than axes, a frost gnawing her roots.  Her heart, withered and rotten, fallen to the earth to feed the worms.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was a stunning extended metaphor-as-story! I just loved some of the lines. I swooned at this: "His brother is crisp and tart, full of flavor, rich juices running down her chin and over her fingers.  Blackberry and honey and cinnamon, and she cannot get enough.  Bees in her heart, butterflies in her stomach, blossoms in her eyes ..."

Despite having Terentaule as an OC for coming up on 20 years now and appearing in several of my stories, I've never taken her PoV, and you've done a phenomenal job of it, of showing the other side of the sibling conflict for her affections.

Thank you so much for writing this. <3

It is so deeply gratifying to know I've done an OC justice, thank you so much!!!  As much as your Celegorm just broke my heart, that detail of her torn, having first refused Curufin because she was waiting for Celegorm, just took hold and wouldn't let go.

But honestly the thing that really formed the story in my mind was the apples.  I didn't realize how strong that inspiration would be, and I'm so glad it worked! <3