Holly by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Warnings for Celebrimbor's death (implied) and the Fall of Eregion.

Written for tolkienshortfanworks prompts (see end notes for more detail)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An exchange between Celebrimbor and Celeborn before the Fall of Eregion and its aftermath.

Major Characters: Celeborn, Celebrimbor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 179
Posted on 9 December 2023 Updated on 9 December 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Holly

Read Holly

Tree and leaf––true life.
Tear leaves, tear a life.

*

Celebrimbor set his palm firmly against the trunk of the holly tree.

‘I know that sometimes in the past you have thought that I have too little respect for growth and its timing,’ he said to Celeborn, who stood beside him.

‘It is true that I have been impatient sometimes with the seasons of Middle-earth, and perhaps more than was just. But in my brief glimpse into the Enemy's mind, before I took off my Ring, I saw one who had utterly divorced himself in thought from all natural growth. And I was horrified.

My heart already grieves for this Land of Hollies. Its time of flourishing has not been so long as Doriath’s but I have grown deeply entwined with it.’

*

Later, fleeing through war-ravaged Eregion fom Sauron's armies, Celeborn passed that same holly tree, now felled and trampled by iron boots. Almost without thinking, he stooped to pluck a spiked evergreen leaf from the fallen tree before he led his remaining troops on northwards.


Chapter End Notes

The prompt that month was: leaf and/or tree.

The couplet at the beginning was inspired by the month's formal challenge, which was the Welsh cynghanedd, but it is not an example of cynghanedd; it merely uses sound patterns in a somewhat similar way.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was such a refreshing and enjoyable read

More often than not, some writers tend to forget about the intrinsic relationship elves have with nature and instead get swept up into all the drama of the Silm itself. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just that I've noticed they seem to be written with more of a human feel to them, which they are not.

Thanks for sharing