The Marsh Where the Dead Sleep by Narya

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A poem, written for the Tolkien Short Fanworks January challenge. The formal challenge was 'cumulative'; the rhythm and structure of the poem was inspired by The House That Jack Built. The thematic challenge was 'building'. I was aiming for a slow build of tension – not sure if that counts!

This poem takes a few liberties with the Dead Marshes and its inhabitants as depicted in the book. It's influenced by, but not totally aligned to, the film version. I think it's probably a children's poem from the Fourth Age or later.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“They lie in all the pools, pale faces, deep deep under the dark water. I saw them: grim faces and evil, and noble faces and sad. Many faces proud and fair, and weeds in their silver hair. But all foul, all rotting, all dead...”

- 'The Passage of the Marshes' from The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 465
Posted on 1 January 2024 Updated on 1 January 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

This is the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

These are the eyes within the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

These are the footsteps that open the eyes within the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

These are the boots which make the footsteps that open the eyes within the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the traveller wearing the boots which make the footsteps that open the eyes within the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.

 

This is the thing reaching out to seize the traveller wearing the boots which make the footsteps that open the eyes within the head upon the corpse that was slain by the wound above the arm that belongs to the hand that holds the candle that lights the way along the road that winds through the marsh where the Dead sleep.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Narya has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.