Cocktail Party, Reprise by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Sequel to Cocktail Party.

Written for the Fan Flashworks challenge 'Cream' (the recipes), posted here, and the Silmarillion Writer's Guild 2024 Resolution challenge, using a prompt from the August 2023 Roaring Twenties challenge: Card: Les Années Folles, B1: L'École de Paris - Paris par la fenêtre (Marc Chagall) and a prompt from the October Experimental challenge.

Posted here on AO3.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The competition cocktail party was a regular event, and Fingon gradually learned to appreciate, if not always enjoy it.

A triple drabble, with images and recipes for 9 cocktails.

Major Characters: Fingon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Family, Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: Experimental, New Year's Resolution, Roaring Twenties

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 664
Posted on 20 January 2024 Updated on 21 January 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Cocktail Party, Reprise

Read Cocktail Party, Reprise

Marc Chagall, 1913, Paris par la fenêtre (Paris Through the Window), oil on canvas, 136 x 141.9 cm, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, by way of Wikipedia


The competition cocktail party was a regular event, and Fingon gradually learned to appreciate, if not always enjoy it. This year the theme was "Sets inspired by Visual Art" and each display included the chosen artwork -- many were projections on glass, like flat palantiri, which was fascinating in its own right -- as well as the cocktails themselves. Here was one with a colorful semi-abstract painting featuring bits of the palace, the Mindon Eldaliéva, and several figures; the cocktails reflected the colors, each one named for a Finwean. Grandfather, both grandmothers, his father, aunts and uncles. None of the grandchildren, fortunately.


A set of 9 colorful cocktails. In the center is a deep violet one in a tall, straight-sided flute, in the left corner is a creamy-white one, and in the right corner is a creamy yellow one, in the same kind of glass. Around the purple one are six in cut-glass goblets, clockwise from the front left (7o'clock) they are deep red, deep bright blue, deep bright green, opaque lavender, opaque orange, and opaque pink.


He looked more closely at the labels with the ingredients (all in beautiful calligraphy that reflected the colors). Amusingly, and apparently simply for added complexity, each concoction included a 'cream' element: crème syrup for the néri, dairy cream for the nissi. Quite a lot of thought had obviously gone into the whole presentation. He wondered if the drinks tasted as interesting as they looked. There was a process for that, Fingon recalled. One noted the entry number or numbers (names were shown only after the judging, both official and popular) one desired to sample and proceeded to the tasting area.


A set of 9 cordial glasses, each with a different colored cocktail. The three in the center are cream-white, translucent purple, cream yellow, and the outer ring, clockwise from 8 o'clock are cream-pink, clear deep green, cream-orange, clear deep blue, cream-lavender, and clear deep red.


The array of tiny glasses was just as colorful as the formal display. The glasses in the display had been in two shapes, one elegantly simple, perfectly smooth crystal for Finwë, Indis and Miriel, the other, equally perfect cut crystal, for the sons and daughters. The tiny glasses were more varied. He sipped them thoughtfully, enjoying the complexities and both expected and unexpected similarities. Who would have thought both Feanor and Faniel would have the distinct edge of maraschino in common? It felt very apt. He wished Russo were here to share it with him. He would be, some year.

 


 

Colorful Finwean Family Crème & Cream Cocktail Recipes


Finwë's Fancy - Purple
1 Crème de Violette | 2 Indigo gin | .5 Ginger brandy | .5 Honey liqueur

Indis' Indulgence - Yellow
1 Ginger brandy | 1 Honey liqueur | 1 Lemon cream liqueur | 1 Elderflower liqueur

Moonlight for Miriel - White
1 Maraschino liqueur | 1 Rum Chata liqueur | 1 Tequila cream | 1 Orzo

Fëanáro's Fascinator - Red
1 Crème Yvette | 1 Grenadine syrup | 1 Cherry vodka | 1 Maraschino Liqueur

A Flower for Findis - Lavender
1 Crème de Violette | .5 Blue curacao | .5 Grenadine syrup | 1 Cream Soda | 1 Heavy Cream

Nolofinwë's Nostrum - Blue
1 Blue curacao | 1 White Crème de Cacao | .5 Honey liqueur | .5 Indigo gin | 1 Ginger brandy

Irimë's Inspiration - Orange
1 Orange curacao | .5 Crème de Fraise | .5 Honey liqueur | 1 Ginger brandy | 1 Lemon cream liqueur

Arafinwë's Arabesque - Green
1 Green Crème de Menthe | 1 Elderflower liqueur | 1 Ginger brandy | 1 Honey liqueur

Faniel's Frolic - Pink
1 Crème de Fraise | 1 Maraschino liqueur | .5 Grenadine syrup | .5 Indigo gin| 1 Horchata cream liqueur

-- The measurements are based on 1 = 1oz (30ml), with each drink coming out to 4oz (120ml)

Note: for a less intense version, add 2 parts Cream Soda.

 


Sub-note and something of an alchemical rabbit-hole:

To make Cream Soda and its constituent parts:
-- Cream Soda: to 10 oz carbonated water (soda or spritzer) add 2 oz vanilla syrup.
-- Vanilla syrup: to 1 cup of Simple syrup add 1 oz pure vanilla extract.
-- Simple syrup: equal parts water and sugar, dissolved and brought to a simmer for a few minutes, not more than 5, and allowed to cool. .75c each water and sugar will result in ~1c simple syrup.
-- Making one's own vanilla extract is also possible, though the process takes several months.
-- There are tools whereby one can carbonate one's own beverages.

Vanilla syrup can be purchased pre-made. Simple syrup may be found in the cocktail mixers and garnishes area of grocery or liquor stores, or from bar and restaurant suppliers. It is also used in baking.

Store-bought cream soda is perfectly adequate, but will likely include rather more ingredients than water, carbonated water, sugar and vanilla.

In other words, it is not necessary to make one's own, but it can be fun, and may well result in ingredients more precisely tailored to one's preferences, such as type and degree of sweetness.



Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Those cocktails matched the art really well, and I like the way you structured the story with pictures and text intermingled.

I'm not sure I want to try any of the cocktails, but I'm glad Fingon got to enjoy them and hopefully, he won't have to wait too long for Maedhros to join him!