Meet & Greet Challenge Drabbles by cílil

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A small drabble collection for the 2024 Matryoshka Meet & Greet Challenge.

Ainur-centric, canonverse, various pairings.

Major Characters: Eönwë, Estë, Lórien, Manwë, Melkor, Sauron, Ulmo, Varda

Major Relationships: Manwë/Varda, Melkor/Sauron, Manwë & Melkor, Manwë/Ulmo, Estë/Lórien, Eönwë/Gothmog

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, Fluff, Romance, Slash

Challenges: Meet & Greet

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 904
Posted on 5 March 2024 Updated on 6 March 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Collecting things [Eönwë]

Read Collecting things [Eönwë]

Celeg Aithorn, the sword given to him by Lord Manwë himself.

A golden anklet he had received as a token of friendship from Arafinwë.

An eagle figurine made out of glass, a gift from Ingwion.

Nolofinwë's training sword that he kept in his honour.

A beautiful crystal shimmering in fiery shades of red, purple and blue, the origins of which he had never revealed to another  a gift from Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs. A courtship offering, to be exact.

Eönwë retrieved it from its hiding place and snuck it into his nest. Somehow, it was still warm in his palm. 

A minor catastrophe [Melkor x Mairon]

Read A minor catastrophe [Melkor x Mairon]

The scream that rang out from the forges beneath Thangorodrim nearly tore the foundations of Angband asunder.

Melkor rose from his throne to investigate, his brow creased in worry as he recognised the voice of his husband.

Mairon stood in the middle of his forge like an angel of vengeance, his ëala glowing and pulsing with wrath, and in his hands he held a very round and seemingly content dragonling.

"He ate all my coals and my gold stash too!" he screeched.

The tiny dragon burped proudly, and Melkor found it quite difficult not to laugh at the vile deed. 

Birdseed for Manwë [Manwë x Varda]

Warning: This is a bit of a darker take on the relationship of the Elder King and his Queen.

Read Birdseed for Manwë [Manwë x Varda]

"Come here, my love."

Gracefully, Varda opens the golden cage and holds out her hand for a tiny white bird to hop onto it.

Manwë trills and chirps at her with the usual exuberant delight she so enjoys. Eagerly pecking at the seeds she offers him, he keeps looking up at her with round, beady blue eyes.

"May I...?"

"Not yet," she chastises gently. "This treat you have earned, but you will have to sit in your cage a while longer."

It is safer for him inside anyway, she thinks to herself. No liars or deceivers, no hurt or evil. 

Decadent oneirism [Ulmo x Manwë]

Warning: (Potentially) unrequited love

Read Decadent oneirism [Ulmo x Manwë]

Restless and ever in motion as he is, even Ulmo at times returns to his home for a brief respite.

The halls of Ulmonan, ever hidden from the Children and those of the Ainur who don't dwell in the waters of Arda, are magnificent to behold, shimmering like pearls, adorned with seashells and held up by mighty pillars of foam-white stone.

Yet to Ulmo the greatest treasure is a statue depicting him and Manwë, intertwined and singing together as they did in the beginning when they made the heavens.

Beholding, reminiscing, wistfully he allows himself to dream of bygone days.

Lost in Memory [Manwë & Melkor]

Read Lost in Memory [Manwë & Melkor]

What had it been like to have a brother? What had it felt like to share a bond with one who had once been as he?

Manwë looked down at his hands, empty like the part of his ëala where Melkor's presence should be. His memory was supposed to be eternal; why could he not even remember what he had lost?

"You are no brother to me. You never were."

"I have no brother."

He remembered those words well. They plagued his nightmares, worsened his guilt.

They had been Melkor's response.

Still, Manwë refused to believe that he was right. 

Reading a good book [Eönwë]

Warning: Innuendo.

Read Reading a good book [Eönwë]

The Elder King's poetry was most renowned in the land of Valinor, particularly those poems written out of love for his queen. Beautiful, touching, endlessly moving; that was what many had said.

Eönwë clutched the book he was holding, blushing furiously. He had intended to experience his lord's romantic poems for himself, yet while the writing he beheld now certainly described acts of love, it was love of a different kind than what he had been looking for.

It occurred to him then that he might have taken the wrong book.

Even so, it undeniably was quite an enjoyable read. 

Someone got hurt [Irmo x Estë]

Warning: A tiny bit of blood. Thankfully, Estë is a healer :)

Read Someone got hurt [Irmo x Estë]

"Ow."

The small noise Irmo made sounded more surprised than distressed, but Estë looked up from the plants she had been tending to immediately.

"Are you alright, my love?"

"I accidentally touched a thorn, I think." He held up his index finger, adorned by a swelling droplet of blood like a crimson pearl.

Estë came over then, shaking her head at the offending rose before taking a closer look at her husband's hand.

It was the first time Irmo bled, and he seemed fascinated.

Willing her power to come forth, Estë gently kissed the wound until it was no more.

Unusual weather [Manwë x Varda]

Read Unusual weather [Manwë x Varda]

"My love..."

Standing atop the highest tower of Ilmarin, Manwë beheld the magnificent sight of a meteor shower, awed by the spectacle.

Varda, though far away and deep in space, heard his voice and gazed upon her beloved with eyes made of innumerable stars.

"Does it please you?" she laughed, a bright sound like twinkling lights and raindrops in the moonlight.

"It does indeed. What have I done to earn such a boon?"

In lieu of a smile, Varda sent a shooting star across Ilmen.

"You always write such sweet poems for me, and I wish to return the favour."

"Wait, that can't be right..." [Melkor & his baby dragons]

Read "Wait, that can't be right..." [Melkor & his baby dragons]

There was a golden glimmer in the dragon's nest.

Sighing, Melkor knelt down to investigate. The little ones were notorious for stealing Mairon's materials and creations right out of his forge, and if it had indeed happened again, it might be prudent to return the missing items before they would be subjected to their other parent's wrath.

Yet it turned out that the golden object was one of the dragonlings itself, curled up and sleeping, and Melkor recognised the one that had eaten Mairon's gold stash a while ago.

"Be careful that the others don't hoard you," he chuckled quietly. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


The courtship gift! *ow my heart*

Dragons = Cats.  *nods sagely*

Sweet little songbird Manwe...

When Manwe and Ulmo get together, things get... steamy? hehehehe

'The wrong book' LOL

Oh Irmo/Este are *so* underrated!! <3

Shooting stars!!

Dragon pups! heheheh

Oh these were all delightful! <3

Aww,  such a beautiful secret of Eonwë's.

I'm laughing with Melkor.

Oh my, a bit of a darker side to the Lady of Light!

I have such a soft spot for Ulmo, and I love the Lost Tales version of the Valar, and I love your take here.

Ouch. Melkor's rejection of all the others stood for must have felt deeply personal to Manwë.

Tee hee! Now I want to know how that book got onto the shelves in the first place!

Oh gosh! I never thought about the Valar having a truly embodied experience like this, but it makes sense that their fana would bleed, and that they would be rather fascinated with it.

Ahh! A poem of live stars! How beautiful!

Your baby dragonlings, and their dads, are so cute!