A Burst of Sweetness by StarSpray

| | |

a burst of sweetness


“Why, hello Carnistir!” Aunt Lúcellë sits back on her heels and smiles as Carnistir comes to peer over her shoulder. She is clad all in green and brown, as befits a follower of Yavanna, and has daisies and asters woven into her thick braids. “Have you an interest in gardening?”

“I don’t know,” he says, surprised. He hadn’t really thought about it. “I just wanted some strawberries.”

Lúcellë laughs and leans forward again, plucking the largest and reddest strawberry from the plants she is tending. Carnistir bits into it, relishing the burst of tart sweetness on his tongue. “Berries are not free in my garden, though,” Lúcellë says. “Come help me trim the roses, and I will give you more berries, and apples too, to take home for your brothers.” She leans close, with a conspiratorial glint in her green eyes, and whispers, “But I’ll save the sweetest for you.”

 

“Hello, Carnistir.” Lúcellë settles quietly down onto the grass beside Caranthir. He is still new-come from the Halls, and is surprised to find how glad he is to see her, with her quiet voice and gentle dirt-stained fingers.

“Hello, Aunt,” he says, straightening from his weeding.

“Your garden is lovely,” Lúcellë says, reaching out to touch a fingertip to a peony blossom. “But you have no fruits.”

“Next year, maybe.” For now it is enough to grow flowers—beautiful things that need no more purpose than that. And they bring other beautiful things to his garden—gem-bright butterflies, and swift hummingbirds.

“Well, in the meantime…” She places a basket between them, and opens it to reveal bright red strawberries. Caranthir takes one. It is even sweeter than he remembers.
Lúcellë puts a hand over his and smiles at him. “It is good to have you home again.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment