The Fissure by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was written for the third round of the Hungarian Tolkien Society's Mailing Competition. The prompt was as follows:

Dwarves are perhaps the most secretive race in Middle-earth – they are even unwilling to share their “true names” with their closest friends from other races, so no wonder we do not know much about their culture either. In this task, you will have to fill in this gap in our knowledge: write a short text between 250 and 700 words about a ceremony, tradition, or custom that could have belonged to one of the Dwarven settlements below. Whichever time and place you choose, come up with a tradition that could not be applied to Dwarves in general, but fits this specific clan or subgroup of Dwarves somehow as it originates from their own history, etc. The text could be of any style: a journal entry of a member of the chosen people or a trusted outsider who, for the first time, is given the honour of participating in one of this clan’s ceremonies, but it could also be an excerpt from a chronicle on the city’s traditions, a historical analysis of how the custom came to be, what its origin was, and why it is still important to the people. No matter what approach you choose, give it a context inside of the story: write from the point of view of an inhabitant of Middle-earth.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maeglin witnesses a coming-of-age ceremony among the Dwarves of Belegost. Written for the Hungarian Tolkien Society's 2024 Mailing Competition.

Major Characters: Dwarves, Eöl, Maeglin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 710
Posted on 19 April 2024 Updated on 19 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I enjoyed reading that -- there are a lot of things that Tolkien hand-waves for the dwarves, isn't there? I loved that you wrote out one of them, and that you wrote about dwarven children coming-of-age. I've read a few of those now but not something explicitly as seen from the eyes of the elves. I do enjoy that just as they temper steel, so do they also temper young dwarves in a heat bath. Lovely!

Indeed, when I (admittedly rarely) end up writing Dwarves (and always for some kind of challenge), it feels very close to original fiction in terms of worldbuilding. He sure didn't give us much! I really do enjoy embroidering additional details amid what he does give us, however; I always enjoy Dwarf-centered stories, when I'm pressed to write them! :D

Thanks so much for reading and especially for commenting!