The Siege of Himring by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This piece was created for the second round of the Hungarian Tolkien Society's Mailing Competition for the following prompt:

Ilúvatar said, “Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost!”, in which the bitter cold of Morgoth ended up in something what is not only beautiful, but let us admit, a source of fun (of course only in case you are not fighting for your life in the Helcaraxë but have the warm fires of your own halls waiting for you once you had enough). “But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said”, so make it into a picture instead! Imagine a nice winter day from these days of bliss: you can choose any dwellings of Elves from any ages (Tirion, Doriath, Imladris etc.), cover it with snow, and show us some named characters from the well-known stories enjoying the funs of winter, snow, and ice (they do not have to be all Elves, guests are also welcome). You can use any style or technique for the making of your picture, but it should be entirely your own work, please do not use any existing works of art (not even if they are in the public domain): no montages and absolutely no use of AI.
Fanwork Information

Description:

Fingon attacks Himring; Maedhros defends. A calligraphy piece done for the Hungarian Tolkien Society's Mailing Competition.

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships: Fingon & Maedhros

Genre: General

Type: Calligraphy

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 19 April 2024 Updated on 19 April 2024

The Siege of Himring

The Siege of Himring by Dawn Felagund. In calligraphy, the text reads, "‘Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of thy clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost!'" and "thought of their ancient friendship stung his heart." The image shows Fingon throwing a snowball toward Himring, where war machines toss snowballs

Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you! The mechanical aspects (really the only thing I can draw reliably ...) was a lot of fun to research, plan, and do. I would love another pass with the correct materials. (I only had calligraphy markers and so was very limited in what I could do and am not fully happy with the calligraphy ... maybe some day I'll try it again with proper pens!)

Oh my gosh!!! This is utterly delightful! Your calligraphy has such a unique whimsical nature of its own, and I just love the dynamics and engineering of the snowball fight!

Thank you! You're very kind! I do fancy myself (I think you know?) a calligrapher, but in this particular case, I had only markers on hand. (I think my pens and nibs survived my house fire but, in any case, couldn't find them when I needed them.) So I want another go at this piece but, overall, did enjoy it and want to share it.

Aha! See, improvising with the "wrong" tools leads to unexpected magic. (Ok, not always, but in this case, I think that's what has lent your lettering the delightful vibe that particularly appeals to me.) In any case, I think you also know by now that I like things that are a bit off the conventional path.

I can't see what you had in mind, but I've sometimes found I can't "see" what I've created for what it is because it doesn't look like what I had in mind. Which is just to say, I really like this, with its quirky combination of technical precision and naive art.