Do you cut down down blossoming trees in the spring for firewood? by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the tengwa alda (tree) for the Tengwar challenge.

Warning for political dangers and risks and also for devastation as canon-typical for late Numenor.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In western Numenor, there is an area famous for its trees and plants. But the Faithful have been banished to the east. And in the last days of Numenor, on the coast an army assembles... 

Major Characters: Amandil, Lindórië, Númenóreans

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Tengwar

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 204
Posted on 25 April 2024 Updated on 25 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love how you've captured the essence of Númenor in two short drabbles -- their love of their land, their longing for a longer life, their destruction of what they loved in the pursuit of more. Tolkien sure did see our human failures and encapsulate them into myth... the sorrow and regret are so hard to read sometimes. You've done this lightly, though. Excellent work.

Aren't blossoming trees always a bit sad, since they are a metaphor for the impermanence of things? Anyway, that sort of association seems to dovetail very well with the story of this double-drabble. Blossoms/the experience of blossoms disrupted by war/politics.

Yes, very true! Even in Tolkien's work, elsewhere, they are often a bit sad. And of course all that exuberant description of the Nisimaldar was written after he had already decided that Numenor was drowned eventually.

Good to hear you feel that it dovetails well with the politics, here. Thank you!

(The idea of regular visits hinted at in the first drabble was inspired by Japanese blossom-viewing, which is very much about both beauty and impermanence. I think they are not the only ones, though, just the ones who have made it a more ritualized practice than most.)