Beating the Bounds by Kenaz

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For @z-h-i-e, 2015 Lord of the Rings Secret Santa

Thank you so much, heartofoshun for the beta and ongoing moral support!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When Erestor was young, his father had shown him their family’s heirloom: a primitive map of Cuiviénen and the inland sea scratched out on deer hide in ink made from soot and oak galls, the work of his father’s father. To the east of the Orocarni was written in the ancient cirth, Here be Monsters; a warning that what lay beyond was unknown, and best left unexamined. Erestor knew, as his grandsire had known, that some things were best left unexplored. Yet like his grandsire, he pressed on in spite of this knowledge.

Major Characters: Erestor, Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 12, 082
Posted on 5 January 2016 Updated on 5 January 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Beautifully constructed and plotted and with your usual gorgeous use of language and inimitable style. One doesn't often come across a great story where Fingon is involved with anyone besides Maedhros, although there is that long period of several years of estrangement. Poor Erestor--you make his situation sound so plausible. Fingon is so attractive and charismatic and not the type to want to be alone for long, but still is so very taken already.

I suppose one could call this review filled with spoilers. But I don't believe in spoilers when we are dealing with canon and we all know Fingon/Maedhros is canon! So, in this case Erestor has to know that Fingon is not truly emotionally available and that he is gonna get his heart broken! But one has to recognize that Erestor walked into this situation with his eyes open. I love the family and cultural environment of the tale, and the glimpses of the politics of the Noldor and situation in Valinor immediately before the flight of the Noldor.

I do think this is one of the greatest stories not only on this site but any. Your writing is sublime, it fills my head with images and senses and emotions, but subtly, never overdone, never hyperbolic. I wish I could write like you. One of the things you do superbly well in this is make Maedhros titanic, legendary- and not just in the 'He is Maitimo;, but in the scarcity of his physical presence in this -but when he is there, his movements are sparse but potent, there is a sense that HE is overwhelming. It is a beautiful story.