Caught in the maelstrom by ford_of_bruinen

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Written for Around the fire challange :

I would like a story of Maedhros and Nerdanel before he leaves for Middle-earth or Formenos. Does she demand an explanation or might he offer one?

Major Characters: Maedhros, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Around the Fire

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 644
Posted on 8 October 2016 Updated on 8 October 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, wow! This was written in response to my request! I am sorry I did not see it sooner. It passed by me. I think I must not have been tracking the LJ thread and missed it when you posted it here.

My apologies and thank you so much for such a lovely fill of this prompt. It is beautifully done and devastating in its authenticity. I love the characterizations of the different sons.

Atarince and Carnistir will not leave their backs exposed but they need a steady hand. Macalaure, what will this do to that mind, enveloped in this. Do not let him lose his way, do you hear me, keep him on the right path. Tyelkormo will be lost, as a limb tore from the tree, hearing too many whispers on the wind and none of friends. And the Ambarussa, keep them close, do not let them out of sight or one will never set foot on the other side.

This entire section is convincing (of course, we are viewing it with the knowledge of what to come--but the importance is not the deeds as much as the how and the why of it. Your interpretation of them speaks to that).

The most heartbreaking part is that she feels by the time Maedhros begs her not to stay behind, the time for making a choice has already long passed and he is not the person who could have convinced her in any case. The most traumatic for her is that she wants so much to try to protect all of them, but in her desperation to hope against all hope and reason that her firstborn (and possibly best loved) son might be able to do something to help, she neglects to convey to him her love for him and take part of that last precious moment to say good-bye.

Feanor! He already burned his bridges and your short story explains that as well. When he stops listening to her, he lost his last best hope. And I am not unsympathetic to him. I see the provocations he is operating under also.

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this story filled with illuminating riches of interpretation.

I am glad you found it lol and glad you enjoyed it. as soon as i saw your prompt the story came into my head, the desperation of losing her children, the huge responsibility put on the eldest child... 

 

there was so uch happening all at once so many decisions and farewells. it must have been a truly heartbreaking time both for those leaving and, maybe even more, for those staying behind knowing their loved ones were walking into lands where violence and death happened as in opposition to valinor. to see those you love the most go to war against a god.... i cant even imagine the horror of it which is why i concentrated on just one voice in this.

I am not unsympathetic to Feanor either LOL but writing him, not as evil nor as a hero but simply someone beyond her ability to help was a nice change (she says as if she hasnt been out of writing for years)

Thank you for reading oshun and thank you for, a always, lovely feedback xx