She walks in Beauty by lindahoyland

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Varda has not forgotten Middle-earth.

Major Characters: Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2017, Strength and Beauty

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 023
Posted on 20 March 2017 Updated on 20 March 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

B2MeM Prompt and Path:“She walks in beauty like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies…” Lord Byron. Purple path Wild. Prompt taken from Red Path.

Format: Short story

Genre: Angst, spiritual

Rating: PG

Warnings: None

Characters: Arwen, Varda

Pairings: Aragorn/Arwen

Creator’s Notes : I was also thinking of the SWG prompt “Strength and Beauty” when writing this.

Summary: Varda has mot forgotten M-e.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Well, I am working a character bio for Arwen for next month and doing a lot of research on different ways in which she has been discussed over the years by fan and scholars as well and also the disputes between textual hardliners and movie fans. So, there was no way I could let your story pass without reading and commenting.

I like the question she poses to the Vala--if you are your brethern are so strong, why cannot you do more to help us? The answer is vague and philosophical enough to be convincing.

I liked the ending when she comes back to herself and is uncertain whether she just had a discussion with Varda or whether she had a dream. One could say even that they are not mutually exclusive options.

I like the ending lines, "The moon had vanished behind a cloud, but the stars lit up the night sky, thousands upon thousands. She was but a speck amongst the stars, but she was Undómiel and she was strong."

I think that canon Arwen is indeed a symbol of strength yet also one of waning influence. The Evenstar of her people to me symbolizes the departure of the Elves from direct intervention and interaction with the fate of Middle-earth and the coming of the Age of Men. But her role is not a weak or passive one, for she had the strength of Lúthien to chose to not only stay with her beloved, but to play a double role as the symbol of the twilight of the Eldar and then the Queen of the Reunited Kingdoms who will help usher in a new world.