Of Linguistic Preferences by Robinka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally posted as part of the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Some of the Sindar may have practical reasons to like their king’s edict that banishes Quenya from Doriath. (Drabble)

Major Characters: Sindar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 99
Posted on 1 October 2017 Updated on 1 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Shame on those lazy little buggers! So funny! I used to have a mental list of the multisyllable words Alex pronounced in hilarious ways, but they don't happen anymore and it makes me sad.

I am always struck by how terrible it would be if I could never use English again in public. I came close to that in my life once, and I remember when a friend called us from the U.S. and my husband talked to him for about ten minutes and then hung up and said, "He said to say 'hi' to you!" I sobbed, because I had wanted to speak English so bad to someone besides my tiny immediate family. I have never been fond of the language-ban. You did make me laugh though.

It's great to hear that I made you laugh :) I'm really glad that my little idea works. Also, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about a language ban. While I think Thingol had his reasons, forcing someone into not using their native language is very cruel. It's like forcing someone into forgetting who they are. Very sad. Thank you for reading and leaving a review!

Hah! I joked just a few days ago (while talking about the difficulties in spelling Quenya properly once the /th/ sound for the thúle Tengwa fell out of use, but the spelling remained as it was) that everyone was secretly relieved when Thingol issued his ban. Clearly, this includes Sindarin school kids who no longer have to bother with "cojungation"!