Discord and Harmony by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This was written for the 2018 Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang and inspired by Hennethgalad's art 'The Discord of Melkor'.

My thanks to Raiyana for the brainstorming, Oshun for helping with the summary, and especially to Grundy for the beta!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young and in love, Nerdanel and Fëanor investigate the reality behind the Ainulindalë.

Major Characters: Aulë, Fëanor, Manwë, Nerdanel, Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Het

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 6, 331
Posted on 5 September 2018 Updated on 5 September 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I hope it was no secret how much I liked this story - it feels like I've been waiting an age to be able to say so publicly! Fëanor and Nerdanel seem like such a solid partnership, so clearly crazy about each other, and yet in their differing reactions to the Valar, there are hints of what's to come later. 

I really liked this. Their united quest for knowledge, the warm comfort in each other's presence, the passion so very evident in their interactions. And the bit of irreverence and hints of things to come. Very well done-really drew me in. I really enjoyed having Nerdanel's POV.

I thoroughly enjoyed the obvious chemistry between Nerdanel and Fëanor - it felt absolutely believable. I was both surprised and delighted that Manwë and Varda were more forthcoming in this matter than Aulë! It makes perfect sense, but it's not what common fanon has made me expect. I love that our two inquisitive Elves were shown what they wanted to know - even if they don't share much with the reader. And a hint of foreshadowing, too... Excellent scenario and very well-written!