The Ghost in the Garden by Dawn Felagund

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A frightening experience one night in Doriath leads Galadriel to consider the irreconcilable differences between Sindar and Noldor. For Marta. 2008 MEFA nominee.

Major Characters: Celeborn, Galadriel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 938
Posted on 5 December 2007 Updated on 5 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Marta asked for a story about the "spiritual themes of Tolkien's world. I don't mean like Christian symbolism, but rather what form spirituality and organized religion would take in the various cultures of Valinor/Middle-earth. So I would like to request an interaction between Celeborn and Galadriel on a spiritual theme."

This request was at once the opportunity to explore something new and to also discuss an area of Tolkien's mythology that is one of my favorites as a researcher. This is the first full-length story I've written about Celeborn and Galadriel, so the chance to develop characters for people who still feel rather awe-inspiring to me (on account of LotR) was a lot of fun, as well as a challenge. The opportunity to write a story about a spiritual theme was familiar and welcome: I have several unfinished research projects dealing with eschatology. "The Ghost in the Garden" considers one oft-ignored aspect of Elven afterlife as Tolkien saw it: the possibility of spirits lingering to "haunt" a particular place that they loved in life (HoMe 10, "Laws and Customs among the Eldar").


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Former SWG user

16 years 5 months ago

You know, this is excellent, and so intriguiging! Perhaps for the Moriquendi there was a desire for their fëar to remain in Endor. It is so mystical, and poignant, and it seems quite possible, the more I think about it. Thankyou!

Creepy, but in a good way. I hardly ever see a writing about an Elf who doesnt heed the summon of Mandos and thus becomes the disembodied spirits. Of course there must be a lot of Sindar who refuse to go to mandos, why should they? This is their home and they don't know Mandos at all. And let's see... being imprisoned for Eru knows how long in a fortress whose keeper is a grim forbidding Being they don't recognize or keep wandering the green beauty of their home. Not so hard choice to make, isnt it? 

It's not so strange to think that the LACE about romance between elves too will be quite different in Middle Earth than in Aman.