Discretion by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Tarion asked me for a story with "Caranthir interacting with Fingolfin and/or Finarfin ... preferably single!Caranthir ... light on the osanwë side (or at least subtle/small role/not directly mentioned ... siding toward serious rather than comedy ... [and] bonus points for incorporating Maedhros/Finrod." Believe it or not, as Tarion is one of my oldest and dearest fandom friends, this request wasn't as off-the-wall as it may seem. All quite predictable, actually, after many wacky IM conversations about this very premise. ;)

In fact, the hardest part about this story was the restriction on using osanwë: In my Felakverse stories, osanwë is the reason for the divide and dislike between Caranthir, Finarfin, and Finarfin's children. It was challenging--but fun--to remix this old idea of mine a bit.

The result is a story of sex, darkness, and political intrigue, featuring a Caranthir with a far better vocabulary than I ever knew he had.


Quenya Name Translations
Nelyafinwë/Nelyo/Maitimo = Maedhros
Findaráto = Finrod Felagund
Carnistir = Caranthir
Arafinwë = Finarfin
Fëanáro = Fëanor
Nolofinwë = Fingolfin
Macalaurë = Maglor
Tyelkormo = Celegorm
Curufinwë = Curufin
Þerindë = Miriel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For Tarion, Caranthir discovers a dark secret about Maedhros, the revelation of which could irreparably divide the Noldor. Will he reveal what he knows? Slash; Maedhros/Finrod. 2008 MEFA nominee.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Fëanor, Finarfin, Finrod Felagund, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Adult

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 6, 605
Posted on 20 December 2007 Updated on 20 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Great story. Love the intrigue, politics, drama, and mystery. Makes the Carnistir more like a Medici than a Fëanorian to good purpose. And how much does optimistic Arafinwë really know? Of course, I got an enormous kick out of the fact that it raised a number of issues that I have been thinking about in recent months, although, of course, your imagination takes them in directions where I have not gone. I love Carnistir lurking in the shadows and watching all the wheels turn.

It was particularly interesting to me that Carnistir says, "I sneak, spy and lie and hate almost everything." What a guy. It actually reminded me of much younger and more innocent Turukano in the gift story I am working on for you.

Think I'll give you a sneak preview of the line it reminded me of from my WIP story for you: "Turukáno recognized that he had passed the point of accidentally overhearing and had entered into the morally reprehensible area of spying. He had been told dozens of times that listening to other's private conversations was unacceptable behavior, sneaky and dishonest."

(OK. I use a lot of words, but you get the point--dealing with a big unwieldy family especially one with such issues. As someone who spent a large part of my childhood hiding under the dining table or in the stairwell off the front parlor, Carnistir's behavior had the ring of truth for me.)

And the scene with Findaráto and Nelyo--oh, my. What a scene. Love to peel the layers off of that relationship and know more. Seems a lot is hinted at that is not covered in this story. I cannot bear short stories that introduce so much and then end. (That's a compliment in case it didn't sound like one.)

"Don't say anything confidential because your brother is spying on you in the parlor." Cracked me up. One of those lines that should come with a beverage warning. Thankfully I was not drinking at the time that I read it.

Thoroughly fascinating study of a family.

Okay, I know reviewer etiquette says that I should use words, but my vocabularly lags behind Caranthir's, so I must settle for:

*SQUEE!!!*

Thank you, Dawn! *hugs* It is wonderful. I love how your stories fit right into the universe. I will formulate a better review sometime, but I wanted to let you know that I read it and love it!

Hey, who says that mods have to set a good example? ;)

Thank you (and you're welcome!); I'm so glad that you liked it, though I thought that Finrod's wandering hands would guarantee that if nothing else. I wanted to reply to your LJ comment last night and let you know that it was up ... but who knew that 24 hours went so bloody fast?

This has definitely been one of the most fun stories I've written this year, so I owe you a thanks too for the prompt. Caranthir's PoV is just too much fun for me. Voyeuristic, teen!angst Caranthir is even better!

*hugs back*

I read this a while ago, actually (wow, that's a bad habit...), and loved it, like everything else you write (*I will mope about my own failure to characterize on my own time, I will, I will, I will...*) I especially love how Carnistir and Fëanáro are so alike in their tempers. For some reason, it amuses me to think of them both sitting in the wagon, arms crossed and scowling. Too bad I can't draw. It would have been interesting to see how it would have affected the Noldor if Carnistir had gone ahead and told Arafinwë. (I seem to be saying that alot in reviews lately...)

 I do have a question though- ever since I first read this, that last line has been positively tormenting me with possibilities. What was going through Arafinwë's head at that moment? (*must know*)

Thank you for sharing with the rest of us (*will not sulk. absolutely positively will not sulk*) Seriously, though, thank you.

Thank you, Michiru! :) I was so excited to find a new review on this story. It\'s one of my favorites but--thanks to the rather odd slash pairing, I suspect--often overlooked.

As for what\'s going through Arafinwe\'s mind ... there are indeed myriad possibilities! It could be any number of things, and I wanted each person to come away with her or his own conclusion. Now as for what I think (and my opinion on it doesn\'t make it the \"answer\"; I suppose that only Arafinwe knows that! :D) ... I think he knows about Findarato and Nelyo. And Carnistir is less adept at hiding his thoughts on his face than he likes to think; Arafinwe can perceive that Carnistir thinks something is not \"right\" between his brother and his cousin. Of course, this puts Arafinwe in a tough spot because, until this point, he has been able to feign ignorance. But if Carnistir tells him of the illicit affair, he will likely be forced to take action by the fact that, if he did not, he would be brought low with his son and nephew and also \"defused,\" to borrow the word that Carnistir himself use in reference to destroying Nelyo and Findarato\'s power. That would leave only Feanaro and Nolofinwe at each other\'s throats, and Arafinwe knows what a disaster that would be. So I suspect he is seriously hoping Carnistir does not reveal the affair to him.

My Arafinwe is meant to be a lot smarter and savvier than he acts. His bubbly, optimistic demeanor is just that and meant to keep the peace between divided factions of his family and people. That he clutches his hands, however briefly, and ruins that facade shows the depth of his upset ... or I hoped it would anyway. :)

Anyway. That\'s my answer, of course not the only one, but the way I see the ending of the story. :) Thanks again so much for the review; it made my day! :) And if ever you want to talk characters, please do email me. I have more ideas about that subject than I know what to do with. ;)