In My End Is My Beginning by Lilith

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A collection of works written for B2MeM 2020.

Major Characters: Amandil, Arwen, Bilbo Baggins, Celeborn, Celebrían, Celebrimbor, Draugluin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Isildur, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, General

Challenges: B2MeM 2020

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 17 Word Count: 19, 620
Posted on 12 March 2020 Updated on 16 August 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Celeborn, Galadriel and Celebrimbor arrive at the site of Ost-in-Edhil.

Written for the B2BMeM Prompt: He was interested in roots and beginnings ...

This chapter also serves as the beginning of "Here, Where We Are."

Amandil and the King’s Prisoner take ship for Numenor.

This work features a female version of Sauron.
The prompt was Frank Bramley’s “A Hopeless Dawn.”
The verse recited at the beginning is from Kipling’s “Harp Song of the Dane Women.

Galadriel leaves Eregion.

Written in response to this prompt: Think of something that happened to you today and write down the first thing that comes to mind. Start your fanwork with your character having a similar experience or performing a similar task.

I had to take an unexpected trip.

Isildur breaks into the chambers of the King’s prisoner and is caught.

Written in response to this prompt: He thought he had come to the end of his adventure, and a terrible end, but the thought hardened him. (*The Fellowship of the Ring,* Book I, Chapter 8).

There is non-consensual touching and a few threats issued in this chapter.

Tar-Miriel explores the King’s Garden in Armenelos.

Written in response to the prompt showing the image of a partially-open blue door.

 

 

Amandil and the King’s Prisoner sail for Numenor, and he finds her looking back at the coastline of Middle Earth and contemplating life and death.

Written in response to this prompt: All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.
-Walt Whitman, excerpt from "Song of Myself"

Galadriel remembers Celebrimbor after his death.

Prompts: death via the prompt generator. It might also be loosely read in terms of the March 8 prompt “the aftermath of a disaster” if one wants to read the fall of Eregion as such a disaster.

Beren and Lúthien in Tol Galen.

Written in response to this prompt:   "They had begun to forget: forget their own beginnings and legends, forget what little they had known about the greatness of the world.” (Unfinished Tales, Part Three, III, The Quest of Erebor) 

Written in response to the following prompt: Photo prompt: Milky Way and person next to a lake (https://pixabay.com/photos/milky-way-human-lake-dreams-4500469/)

Summary: Galadriel speaks with her cousin on the shores of Lake Mithrim after the crossing of the Helcaraxë.

Summary: Changes in the season from summer to fall and fall to winter cause Celebrimbor to remember his childhood in Valinor.

Prompt: Very loose use of the song prompt: “The Dreaming Tree” by Dave Matthews Band (Use the title, lyrics, song, or a combination as inspiration for your fanwork: https://genius.com/Dave-matthews-band-the-dreaming-tree-lyrics): 

Remembered Mother's words
There beneath the tree
"No matter what the world
You'll always be my baby"

Prompt: Whistler’s Nocturne in Black and Gold

Bilbo and Arwen watch the celebrations in Rivendell after the destruction of the Ring.

 

 

B2MeM Prompt: March 15: Begin your story in the middle of an important scene and watch how it unfolds from there! For non-story responses, choose a book from your shelf, open it to the middle, and choose a sentence from the middle of the page; create a fanwork starting from that point and see what develops.

Format: ficlet
Genre: alternate universe: gender swap
Rating: General
Warnings: n/a
Characters: Mairen (Lady!Sauron), Finrod, Draugluin
Pairings: n/a

Mairen faces Finrod in song.

B2MeM Prompt Generator: Creation

Format: Ficlet
Genre: gen, alternate universe
Rating: gen
Warnings: a female Sauron?
Characters: Mairen (Lady!Sauron), Celebrimbor, Original Character

Pairings: that peculiar friendship between Sauron and Celebrimbor

Creator’s Notes: The room Mairen created was inspired by one of Kusama’s infinity rooms. The title refers to Kusama’s descriptions of her own work which plays tricks with perception through repetition of an image. The apprentice was borrowed, with apologies, from Pandemonium’s “The Apprentice.” This verse is ever and always offered in gratitude to those whose work has moved me.

Summary: Mairen has an unusual surprise for Celebrimbor’s begetting day.

March 24th Prompt: He sat down on the bank at the side of the road and looked away east into the haze, beyond which lay the River, and the end of the Shire in which he had spent all his life. (The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I, Chapter 3)

Format: ficlet
Genre: gen.
Rating: General
Warnings: n/a
Characters: Sam Gamgee
Pairings: n/a

March 13: “…your kingdom is gone. If it is to be restored, which I doubt, it must be from small beginnings.” (Unfinished Tales, Part Three, III, The Quest of Erebor)

 

 

 

Elendil and Mairen, separately, life after the drowning of Númenor.

Prompt: “A vain pursuit from its beginning, maybe, which no choice of mine can mar or mend.” (The Two Towers, Book III, Chapter 1)

Follows the events seen in chapter 10, Mairen considers how she may have become caught in her own trap.

 

 

Making things in Eregion.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.