In Bloom by Lilith

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For a gifted writer and generous reader, it is very lovely to play a bit in this world.

Very brief, oblique and non-graphic references to canonical torture and death.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Not exactly a remix or even a gap-filler, but, perhaps a prequel of sorts, of Himring's "Lilac," in which Maedhros, still fairly newly returned and living in Fingon's house in Tirion is visited by his nephew.  That nephew has a few thoughts on grief, guilt and time wasted.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Block Party

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 600
Posted on 19 April 2020 Updated on 19 April 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, what an excellent explanation how Maedhros's attempt to decorate the room with lilac came about!

I was just sitting in the sunshine today with the printout of the next chapter of Midwinter's Feast and thinking what a wonderful cousin your Celebrimbor is to have, for Celebrian, despite all the looming issues.

And here, he is, being equally wonderful, extending understanding, encouragement, and forgiveness!

Thank you so much for writing this for me!

Thank you.  

I think Celebrimbor is a very good cousin to Celebrian and I think he'd be a good kinsman and friend to Maedhros here.   They've certain similarities in experience and in temperament that I think would help them to understand one another.   

Celebrimbor, in A Midwinter's Feast, is an interesting character to write; we see him from Celebrian's perspective so it is a little softer than it might be from another view, much as that of her mother is sterner than might appear from another angle.  I think, in the last chapter or two, there are certain complexities that may be more apparent about him and some of which are difficult, but he means so very well.

That is really lovely. I needed something that gave comfort.

“I know,” his nephew said.  “I do know, but still you are here, by merit or grace or forgiveness, you are here and you are loved.”

“Does it matter that I am unworthy?” 

“I would disagree, but, worthy or not, you are loved and so very deeply, so perhaps begin with accepting that fact.”

 

I think that is a lesson that Celebrimbor was, for understandable reasons, slow to learn, and I do not think he would want someone else to wait as long as he did to accept the fact and gift of being loved in whatever form love comes.

Himring's Maedhros and her Celebrimbor, though this one is a partly my own rendering, are very lovely, and I am very glad she asked for someone to play a little in the world she's made.