The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 18 The Words of Mablung and Hurin


Melkor sat in long contentment; knowing that the evil of his curse had lingered whilst Hurin was abroad, for it seemed that in his freedom he brought ruin wherever he went.  And as is already told, Melkor now knew of the region where Turgon dwelt; and this knowledge would shortly bear fruit with the seizing of Maeglin.  In addition, Hurin's departure from Brethil brought disarray to that land; for now its people had no sure Chieftain and they fell into petty infighting, and rival households vied for supremacy being fuelled by long held grudges.  Thus it seemed to the Dark Lord that the same would come to pass within the confines of Doriath; and Melkor laughed in his dark thought, saying, "Let Melian keep the hapless wanderer inside her garden; there too let it be seen that my will prevails.  In ‘Little Valinor' let my malice poison the enchanted trees so that they will wither; and let she who fled to Middle-Earth ere the ‘Great Darkening' know the utter destructiveness of my power, when all that she hath created be laid bare in ruins before her.  Then let her kneel before my might; let her fall into my web being now trammelled in flesh and without power, or at the very least let her steal away over the sea and flee to Valinor where she can never trouble me again, ha, ha, ha!"  Even so, much of what Melkor desired came to pass but not all; however, if the Orc scouts were but able to tarry but a while longer they would seen that Hurin departed from Menegroth on the same day that he arrived, and the Enemy therefore would have surely learnt how he met his end.  

Now as is known by all the wise, Hurin brought forth out of Nargothrond the fabled Necklace of the Dwarves, The Nauglamir, and he cast it hastily at the feet of Thingol and Melian in contemptuous payment for their ‘fair keeping' of his kin.  But the queenly Melian graciously appeased Hurin's disdain and she set his vision aright, which had long been distorted by the malevolence of Melkor and his fell devices.  After a prolonged silence Hurin gathered up the strewn Nauglamir, and setting it properly in its box he offered the fine necklace to Thingol in a gesture of penitence and respect.  The King accepted this precious token, and Hurin silently bowed as he departed from the beautifully ornate and many pillared royal hall.  Thingol would that he had stayed a while longer to receive healing and counsel, but Melian had seen into Hurin's eyes and she stayed her husband's tongue even before he spoke.  However, Mablung was there present also for he had admitted Hurin into Doriath; so, once the old man had left the chamber, King Thingol beckoned his Chief Captain to the throne, saying, "Do not hinder his going if he will be gone, Mablung: but if he will listen to you, tell him all that you have learnt on your travels, and if he is willing, learn what you can from him!" And Melian added, "Have a care, Mablung, Hurin has witnessed much evil and with skewed sight, but now for the first time in many long and arduous years he sees clearly; therefore be kindly to him and forego any affront, for still he suffers greatly, though it be now that his well of tears runs dry."

Mablung bowed before his sovereigns and quickly turned on his silent elven toes in pursuit of Hurin; and it did not take very long to find him, doddering his way along the lofty corridors out of Menegroth.  He called after him, "Hurin, Hurin, will you not allow me to escort you safely to our borders?" 

Hurin halted, and without turning about he said, "Why, am I in danger?"

"Not at all, Lord," said Mablung, "But it is a shame to see you leave thus alone."

"So Captain," said Hurin, still not moving, "You think I shame to Thingol's Hall?"

"Nay, not you; but I," said Mablung, now catching up.

"How so?" quizzed Hurin.

Mablung knelt before Hurin with downcast eyes and said, "My Lord, your wife and daughter were left to my charge but through my failure they were lost to me.  There is much I can tell which I have learnt in my searching; but alas, I found them not," and he wept openly at Hurin's feet.  

Hurin was exceedingly touched by the sincerity of this remarkable Elf warrior and he bade him rise and face him, and with an outstretched arm on Mablung's shoulder he said, "I know your deeds, I saw them firsthand; for you see I was bewitched as was my daughter, but unlike her I was aware of all that you said and did.  Therefore do not weep, Mablung, because the shame is not yours!  It is their's: the wicked one and his fiery-beast.  Indeed it is I that should sob at your feet; in gratitude for all that you did for my daughter.  And as for Morwen: I doubt that even your elvish eyes could see through that fiendish Dragon's smoke and I doubt also that there was little you could have done to aid her amid all the reek and chaos.  So now if you will permit, let me answer you properly: I would be delighted in your mighty company, if you will escort me and say what else you know."  

They stood together a little while longer, unblinking; and in that moment Hurin read in the depth of Mablung's eyes that in all his long years he had never cried before, not even as a child.  As the Elf slowly closed his eyes and turned to Hurin's side, the old man realised then how profound and draining this experience was for the proud archer; and at length, after walking in silence, Hurin asked if they might take some refreshment before continuing, in essence he did this more for Mablung's benefit than his own.  Now, they were already nigh to the great doors of Menegroth which led out to the bridge that spanned the River Esgalduin and Mablung gestured in that direction.  The sun was climbing high and the fragrance of high summer was all about them as they stepped outside, but rather than cross the bridge Mablung ushered Hurin left and left again.  There, and cunningly hidden from view, was a slender doorway which led back into the sidewall of the grand portico-gateway; however this did not rejoin the main corridor as Hurin first thought, instead there was a narrow stairway to his right lit by the blue radiance of Feanorian crystals, which Finrod Felagund had brought out of Valinor.  The steps were carved long ages ago by the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost, and took devious turns in the rock; therefore, Mablung linked Hurin's arm who soon began to tire and regret his request.  Still, the climb did not take too long and it was well worth the effort, as Hurin found out; for they emerged out onto a wide crescent shaped veranda with far views of the forest and lands beyond, it was unfenced but rather ringed by flowered shrubs of beautiful and divers colours and there were many ornately carved tables and chairs of the finest White Spruce.  They were seated and attended by two Elf-Maidens who brought them a wine filled decanter and a platter of fine meats.  Hurin admired the craftwork that went into the furniture and Mablung told him that the wood came from the tropical regions of the south and was a gift from Cirdan, who also used it in the building of his ships.

At length Hurin asked, "What happened after Nienor fled; that is I heard the death cries of the pursuing Orcs but that was the last I heard of your company, and I wonder how you fared?"

"We all survived unharmed," said Mablung pausing to sip his wine, "I took full responsibility for the failure of my mission but my sovereigns, and now you, graciously absolved me.  The king granted me three years to seek out your wife and daughter, those that returned from Nargothrond went with me and eight others also.  Thingol's wardens scoured the southern forests nigh to the ravines of Brethil for any sign of Nienor, but alas her tracks were washed away in the rains; meanwhile, we returned to Amon Ethir and attempted to glean any marks left by Morwen.  Unfortunately, the ground was scorched and the few prints that remained were damaged and chaotic; yet as I stood in a barren patch, the wind picked up some loose ash that swirled about my legs and bore it northwest towards Nevrast, I fancied then that it recalled Morwen's cries and we followed in that direction."

"That is odd, for I too remember losing her voice on the wind," said Hurin, and he went in to greater detail of how he saw and heard things during his captivity; and he finished by saying, "Alas, for twenty-eight years and more my senses were skewed by the will of evil, but now ere the end I have been allowed to see straight once more." and he nodded at the grim-faced Mablung, bidding him to continue.   

"We sought the reaches of the desolate northern coastal lands for many weeks," resumed the Elf, "Not only did we find no sign of your wife, but the few homesteads that lay round and about were now wholly deserted.  We turned back east, for we knew of the scattered clans who dwelt in the shadow of the Ered Wethrin and hoped to find news of her there.  Indeed, a vagrant woman matching her description had passed through those lands but I understood soon enough that few made her welcome due to her unhinged ravings; although we found one family took pity on Morwen and offered her scant lodgings but after three days she vanished, and it was believed by them that she headed south to face the Dragon head on, or so she said.  Whether or not this was true I cannot say, but we returned from whence we came and from the hill I ventured again to Nargothrond.  There I half-expected, or more rightly dreaded, to encounter Glaurung once again but the Gates of Felagund were completely barred and all was deathly quiet, save for the rushing of Narog.  I scaled the perilous outer walls of Nargothrond to seek out any fissures or natural vents that might allow me entry by another means but all ways were shut, either blocked by solid rock or clogged up with sulphur.  I knew that one as frail as Morwen would not have been able to do as I did; and furthermore, it was my assertion that if indeed she came this way and was met by the same forbidding sight as I, then surely she would have moved on by now unless she had actually smote upon the door and roused the Dragon which I now doubted.  Thus I returned to my companions on the hill, but I bade them to come away from there in order to discuss our next plan of action for I no longer trusted that place.  We had no reason to assume that she had not come this way and therefore deemed that she would continue downriver to the willow forest of Nan-Tathren and maybe into the safekeeping of Cirdan; perhaps now news had reached Doriath and the mariners awaited our arrival, or so we hoped.  Thus it was with high hearts we followed the River Narog, and for a second time in as many days I saw the threatening walls of the once beautiful Nargothrond."

Hurin perceived the sorrow in Mablung's voice as he recalled the former majesty of Felagund's realm and he said, "Alas for Orodreth for I saw his downfall from afar, and that of the Falas of Cirdan too, though he still endures; have heart Mablung, for Doriath yet stands and Gondolin also.  I have seen the valour of both lands at close quarters and with my own eyes, whereas our enemy has not; believe me when I tell you, for as mighty as the Northern King is he knows fear, especially in that which he cannot wholly dominate.  Am I not living proof?"

"I marvel at your words Hurin," said Mablung, "Indeed you are Thalion, the Steadfast.  Middle-Earth was truly robbed of your valour when Morgoth hid you away from it; and surely, better wordsmiths than I could have written mighty songs of the great deeds that you and your son may have achieved together.  But valour alone is no contest for the machinations of wickedness, though I feel valour be the main province of we two old warriors; thus I regret it is here that my heart misgives me.  And whilst it is true that I have gained some wisdom in the experience of my long years; my chief delight remains in following the greater wisdom of others more qualified than I, and serving them how I may."

"Then no king could wish for a wiser subject than thee," said Hurin.

"Perhaps, but do not be so free with your praise just yet!" said Mablung, "There is still much to tell."

"Then, please; say on!" said Hurin.

"First let me ask, is it still your will to be gone this day?" enquired Mablung.

"It is," said Hurin.

"Then we must depart while time is," said Mablung, "I shall take you to whence you came, in order to ensure your passage on the ferry that crosses the Twilit Mere; but there is need of haste if we are to travel there by daylight, come!"  He took Hurin's canteen and filled it with the remaining wine, and he hastily requested that the attendants wrap the leftover meat in preserving leaves whilst his guest took one last melancholy glimpse at the beautiful vista around him.  At length they descended the blue-lit stairway and came out at the Gates of Menegroth once more, where they traversed the great stone bridge.  They followed the paths of Esgalduin to where it joined Sirion; and crossing again, they followed the great river along the western marches of Region until they reached the mere shortly after nightfall. 

In the interim Mablung told Hurin how on his arrival at Nan-Tathren he and his companions were met by the wardens of Cirdan whom he knew on friendly terms, and they gladly escorted them down to the Havens.  He learnt there that one alike to Morwen indeed had come to the willow forest and dwelt there in hiding for a season and more, but she rejected all advances of assistance; and since she caused no nuisance Cirdan let her be, though he set a watch upon her.  She had in fact departed west but a month before Mablung's coming and he cursed the deceptive ash-wind of Glaurung; even though it did not lie.  Thereafter he searched tirelessly abroad along all the western reaches of Beleriand: from the Delta-Havens to the ruined Falas and along the coasts and inlands to deserted Nevrast, beneath the Ered Wethrin to the Mountains of Shadow, even though he knew from her days in Doriath that Morwen would not venture so close to Dor-Lomin.  In all these long days of searching no rumour of her reached Mablung's ears and his appointed time granted by Thingol was more than half way gone.  It was in this time that the Elven party marked the coming of a great host out of the north and fled into the crevices of the Ered Wethrin as the ‘Ravenous Watch' convened at the Sources of Narog.  So significant did this news seem to Mablung, that he sent forth one from his group as a messenger to Menegroth whilst he watched from afar; and accordingly as the subsequent events unfolded, Mablung and Thingol organised a line of communication.  Now, ever after the first assaults on Brethil the lands about the Vale of Sirion were swelled with people seeking the protection of the little rivers; and Morwen came there after hearing the rumours that ‘The Mormegil has returned and defends the besieged forest'.  Mablung heard this too and he wished to venture south in the hope of finding Morwen whom he deemed rightly would follow news of her son, but duty restrained him until he could obtain the leave of his king.  Alas this departure came too late, for his approach was stayed by the chaos wrought by the coming of Glaurung and he passed Morwen by; amid the great anxiety of general fleeing and folk going into hiding.

Mablung paused for a moment and said, "We mark the passing of time differently you and I.  For you I am sure that the memory of evil deeds still haunts your fea and hroar, but we Elves retain that which we experience for much longer; far much longer.  Hurin, I can still feel the heat of dragon-fire, I can taste it, and I can smell the burning of flesh and wood: I can still see..."

Hurin consolably clasped the shaken Elf's shoulder, telling of his own experiences with Glaurung; he described in part the tale of the Orb and what he had seen in it, and he told of his imprisonment and some of his later wanderings, including the discovery of his wife.  Mablung marvelled at Hurin's fortitude and endurance, and accepted that his companion understood to some degree what he was trying to convey.  The captain of Doriath took up his account once more saying how he feared for Brethil on the night of doom.  His company arrived at the Crossings of Teiglin on the following day and there they found Turin witless and wailing by the mound of Finduilas.  Turin quizzed Mablung about the whereabouts of his mother and sister saying, "I was told in Dor-Lomin that they fled to the Hidden Kingdom."  Mablung ruefully told the son of Hurin all that he knew; and in his disbelief, Turin fled from the Elves in great haste towards the place where he left Glaurung to rot.  The Elves wandered what evil malady had taken hold of Turin and with a desire to aid him they pursued as quickly as they might, but once again it was Mablung's fate to follow too late.  At length they reached Cabed-en-Aras, finding the Dragon laying still and inviolate, save for his wound; there also alas, they found Turin at the ravine's edge bent forward and impaled by his Black Sword, Gurthang.

"My companions wept for Turin, but for me the grief only served to chill my heart," said Mablung; "I remembered you on that day, Hurin, and the last time I saw you, fighting courageously at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad all those years ago.  I thought also of my queen and the sorrow she would feel on hearing of the doom of your son; for she loved him well."

"Then Melkor-Morgoth spoke true, albeit with bitter delight," said Hurin distantly.

"I shudder at that name," said Mablung, "But tell me, what webbed truth did the wicked master of lies spin?"

"All that you have just recounted and more," said Hurin.

"I fear that the shadow has taken you again, my dear friend," said Mablung with great concern; "If you will, I have more also but my heart fails me, since I worry now that the tale will displease your ears."

"Shadows are fleeting," said Hurin, smiling narrowly; "Have no fear Mablung, for my ears have been disgraced with many lies tangled in truth.  Now I will hear the truth unfettered by deception; and no matter unpleasant that may be, at the very least it shall wash away the dregs of his poison." 

Mablung resumed: presently many Men of Brethil arrived, wanting to see the dead Dragon for themselves, and it appeared to the Elves that most of them were in great doubt.  Mablung greeted them in friendship and explained why he and his group had come to their lands.  The Elves assisted in removing the Black Sword from the lifeless warrior, but the blade fell and broke asunder as it smote the stony ground; Turin was taken up by many hands and carried with honour to the remainder of the Brethilim assembled at crossings by Nen Girith.  Many there marvelled at the tales of bravery that Mablung told of their fallen hero, hitherto unspoken by Turin; yet there were some among the gathering of Men who had little love for the son of Dor-Lomin and they withheld their praise.  This did not go unnoticed by the Elves but they kept their own counsel; seeing in many scornful expressions the seeds of the disharmony that was to follow.  However, the majority welcomed Mablung and bade him stay with them for a time whilst they took counsel together; to which all the Elves happily consented.  Mablung heard the tale of Turambar‘s arrival, and Niniel's, and much more besides; the most part of which Hurin was now able to confirm.  They told Mablung of Glaurung's approach and Turambar's accompaniment by Dorlas and Hunthor to the meet the beast, of the pursuit of Niniel and Brandir and of the deaths that took place.  Manthor wept for Hunthor his brother, whom he rightly supposed dead, even though his body was then undiscovered; yet the true extent of his heroism became later known, revealed by the fact that in the fall he landed on his back yet there was blood on his forehead and the rock beside him.  However Avranc, son of Dorlas, angrily stormed from the assembly when the deeds of his father were related to the Elves.  Although he was a valiant in war; Dorlas quailed at the final approach in facing the Dragon and he hid himself whilst his companions went on to uncertain doom.  And afterwards, when Brandir witnessed the sorrows of Niniel he encountered Dorlas on his return to Nen Girith, and the two quarrelled; Brandir disgusted at the cowardice that he found, and Dorlas berating the weak leadership of his chieftain, Dorlas aimed a punch at Brandir but the latter was quicker and he felled the craven with his sword. 

"He was a just man and he loved my daughter dearly," said Hurin thoughtfully; "Ah! Would that my wife had fled to Brethil at the first, as was my request.  Oh Morwen!" and remembering where he was, he added, "I am sorry Mablung, please continue!"

He said, "Brandir delivered his tidings, though at this time he still believed Turambar to be dead and he deemed it to be good news; revealing to his people the heritage of Turin and Nienor.  However, most of them were in grief and grasped not the true nature of what he had just told them; and they would away to their dead champion, but at the moment of their departure Turin came amongst them seeking Niniel.  After their initial shock, the people jeered Brandir as a fool and a liar; especially vocal was the mother of Avranc who disbelieved the tale of Dorlas' disgrace.  And Turin spoke in defence of their chieftain; until that is the wife of Dorlas repeated, in part, Brandir's words before Turambar's return and called them into disrepute.  Turin turned angrily on Brandir, naming him ‘Grudger of love'; and when it emerged that Brandir heard all that Glaurung had said to Nienor ere her demise, and when the profundity of what that entailed hit its mark, I regret to say, Hurin, that your son unjustly slew the man you named as ‘Just' but a moment ago."

"Then it is even as ‘The Enemy' said; though your words are kinder," said Hurin. 

"Alas!  I must impart more sorrow, in which I fear my perceived kind words will crumble before you like the very ash of Angband itself," said Mablung.

"Nay, Elf; your fear is your salvation, as is the truth you speak which crumbles not, say on my friend in a friendless world!" said Hurin.

Mablung said, "On the following morning we returned your son to the place where he fell.  There I was reminded of Turin's questioning of me regarding the location of his kin, and as I said then I repeat to you now, Hurin: ‘I also have been meshed in the doom of the Children of Hurin, and thus with words have slain one that I loved.'" and after pausing in grief, he tearfully began again, "We burned the carcass of the Dragon until its dust was all that remained on that barren patch; we placed Turin into the mound where he yet remains with his broken sword, and set upon it the great stone where you found your wife in its shadow.  I would sing for you one of the many laments from that day but my heart weighs too heavy; for you see Hurin, it was I that caused that ground to be hallowed, it was I that decreed that none should venture upon it and therefore, it was I whom sentenced your beloved to a lonely death."

"Weep not for that, Mablung," said Hurin; "Weep if you will, for the hurts of my house but not for the blessings which you have bestowed upon it!"

They walked the last stage of the journey in reflective silence, with the robust Elf linking the old man's arm in support; for the path became wetter and gladier as the River Aros came down from the east to join Sirion before its falls, between which lay the Twilight Meres.  They watched as the red light of the westering sun danced on the rushing waters of Sirion before it deflected into its myriad straits and vanished from sight in the evening mist.  At length they came to a great flat oval slab of rock which marked the end of the river path; and from this stone there were many other smaller ones of similar shape which formed a natural stairway that fell away downwards in a gentle bowed gradient, and this led onto an organic quayside from where the Elves would ferry across the mere.  However before they descended the stone stair, Mablung halted and said, "Hurin, before your leave taking there is more that I would tell you; for you see, my tale is not yet complete.  Here, alas, I must reveal the most grievous hurt that I have inflicted upon your house; though I did fully comprehend its full implication until we conversed together this day.  After my short sojourn in Brethil I was anxious to return to Menegroth and report to my sovereigns all that I learnt in regard to the fate of your children.  In so doing this I neglected my duty, which was to your wife; for I departed Brethil before the appointed time to seek for her was over, and it is more than apparent to me now that had I but waited the due course, even if there was the slightest chance that I could have found her, then I should have waited.  I knew this to be true then, but I went against my own better judgement; and it is in this knowledge that I call myself a failure, and it is in this knowledge that I deem myself unwise despite my years."

"Unwise you are, Mablung, but for one reason only," said Hurin; "You told me but a few hours ago that thee of Elvenkind retain that which is experienced.  If you are to be believed, which I know you are; then please, please do not take my sorrows onto thy immortal self!  Morgoth told me upon my release that my ‘little life is waning' and he was right, it is; therefore, Mablung, I beg of you, do not permit his malice outlive me by carrying it in yourself!  Time is short for me, True One, and my passing will be better eased by knowing that you are at peace with yourself.  Accept this wisdom from me, for indeed in this matter I am better qualified than thee; also, from one who has nothing to give, accept this gift in token of my forgiveness." and he kissed the back of Mablung's hand saying, "Weep no more, my friend!"

Mablung tried to answer but words failed him, and with a final choke in his throat he stood erect.  He extended his elbow to Hurin and with great dignity he led him down to the lamplit quay and requested passage for his friend.  Presently, Mablung left companion's side for a moment and spoke quietly with another Elf; and as Hurin was about to board the ferry, Mablung said, "The night grows chill, can I not persuade you to stay at the lamplighter's house until first light?"

"You cannot, but thank you; for everything," said Hurin, and he alighted the gantry.

Mablung bade the ferry barer to wait whilst he approached Hurin and handed him an envelope containing three pieces of gold, "There is a secluded outpost a mile along the western road by the pass of Andram Pass, give this to the lodge keeper, he will know whence it came; there you shall receive board for the night and better equipment for outdoor living.  Do this, Hurin; do it for me!" said Mablung.

"I will," said Hurin, grasping the Elf's hand.

Mablung nodded to the ferry barer and said, "Where will you go from there, Hurin?"

"Judging by the lay of the land, downhill seems easiest; south I guess," said Hurin, "Farewell, Mablung!"

"Farewell!" said Mablung, turning about and heading home.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment