The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The tale of the Children of Hurin seen through the father's/enemy's eyes

Major Characters: Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Another Place in Time

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 19 Word Count: 49, 697
Posted on 31 December 2009 Updated on 13 June 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm surprised that this hasn't got many reviews. This is a wonderful piece of work! Your style is very similar to Tolkien's himself, which is something that always catches my attention. I love how you portrayed Hurin's defiance earlier on, and the interactions between Morgoth and his servants. I found it very interesting that Morgoth actually enjoyed instructing Hurin, because it shows that it was in his nature to want to teach others, even though now he has become twisted with evil. I have nothing but the highest praise for this and it's definitely going on my favourites! :)

This has been on my 'to read' list for a wee bit.  The title and summary intrigued me and the opening chapter did not disappoint.  The imagery is rather epic, particularly Melkor ascending the mountain with the chair and Húrin in hand.  There were a lot of enjoyable details about Melkor's thought process and his interactions with his foes and--I use the term as loosely as possible--friends.
I'm hoping to be able to read more of this over the holidays.  Compelling concept!
-Huin

 

I had almost forgotten about this story, it being my first crack at anything like this and certainly the first time I'd ever dared to post something for public consumption; I am pleased that the first chapter didn't disappoint.  I am worried now looking at it again that Melkor comes across as a bit of a Pantomime/Disney villian, but of course this has not been the feedback I've recieved from anyone else so mayhap I'm being a bit hard on myself - a failing that I readily acknowledge!

Anyway, thanks for reviewing and I hope that I have not put you off enjoying the rest of this...

Happy Hols, CiH

Yes, I do continue to find this story enjoyable.  Re: your response to my Ch 1 review--Melkor is indeed of an angrier and less subtle sort than I sometimes see him portrayed, especially in the first chapter, but it did seem he had good enough reason to be pissed off.  And he becomes more complex as we learn about his schemes in the ensuing chapters.

I quite liked this chapter in particular.  I'm not sure I've seen a story before that actually has Melkor interacting with one of the dragons.  Their dynamic is very interesting.  I want my own dragon pal who gives me advice and consolation when I'm glum... *trying to hug Glaurung*