An Ordinary Woman by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story is for Jenni, who aside from being a co-moderator of SWG and one of our founding members has been one of my dearest online friends across the years.

Jenni asked for,

[A] story that features both Luthien and Finrod ... Luthien would be seeking some advice from Finrod. Perhaps reference to some friction between Luthien and her father as well as a disagreement between Finrod and Thingol could make for an interesting subplot ... In the story, I'd like to see that Finrod inherited some of his own father's diplomatic sense, but also--unlike his father--has a fatal flaw--that which caused him to make a foolish judgement, perhaps--that led to his own death.

This was quite a challenge! Reading it, I could easily imagine that it could be a mini soap opera unto itself. But, of course, this wasn't really possible, given the project and the number of requests that I received. So I needed a way to get all of these things into a story of reasonable length.

I should mention also that Jenni's request was inspired by a journal entry that I made looking at the early Tale of Tinuviel from BoLT2. In this post, I put forth some of my pet theories about the tale of Beren and Luthien, especially in keeping with my larger interpretation of Tolkien's works as historical sources. This gave me the idea to explore this story from that perspective: What if Luthien was actually an ordinary woman who was made larger than life by ignorant loremasters wanting only a good tale to tell? This story begins to answer that question.

She's All ThatShe's All That

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For Jenni, a more realistic interpretation of Luthien's story, how she came to enter her people's legends, how she met Beren, and how Finrod got himself into deep trouble. MEFA 2008 nominee.

Major Characters: Beren, Elu Thingol, Finrod Felagund, Lúthien Tinúviel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Humor

Challenges: Gift of a Story, Strong Women

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 817
Posted on 27 January 2008 Updated on 27 January 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


So much better than the original. (I know. I am a complete heretic when comes to Beren and Luthien.) Adored Finrod in this one too. "Not to change the world, but to understand it": both the weakness and the strength of Finrod very well described, whether or not that was your intention. 

Thanks, Oshun! An evol part of me wants to do a longer story someday about the \"real Beren and Luthien.\" Only it\'s not a story I\'m overwhelmed with to start and I don\'t know if I have the strength to put up with the inevitable, \"You\'ve gone and ruined the magic, you heretic!\" that it would generate. ;)

Also, I want you to know that I got your last email. I\'ve been very busy with this upcoming SWG project (that should be revealed in the next couple of days, maybe earning me a bit of a reprieve), but I\'ll get the story back to you ASAP. I\'m chomping at the bit to read it!

Ah, ha!  I recall that discussion surrounding Luthien and the BoLT2, and I see that it bore fruit.  As usual, your exquisite detailing brings the characters alive and highlights their humanity. Your humor shines through.  At the risk of tossing too many spoliers in the review, I'll leave these tidbits for other readers to discover, but I will say that  I heard Thingol say "Oy!" rather than "Ai!" ;^) 

Finrod's characterization is great, but it's Luthien who really does it for me.  Here, you've captured an appealing combination of self-deprecation and striking introspection on her part.

Often, it is ordinary that becomes all the more remarkable. 

I agree completely. That is part of the reason that I wrote this because, to me, the Beren and Luthien story is less compelling because I can\'t relate to them as real people. But once I start believing that I could be Luthien (and Bobby is Beren? :^P), then I am all the more compelled; their deeds do seem remarkable and they do become heroes.

Of course, I know that there\'s another school of thought on this where the story\'s magic lies in ... well, its magic.

Thingol saying \"Oy!\" rather than \"Ai!\"--lol, I can hear that too, now that you mention it (and have probably forever changed how I will hear that part of the story!)

Hehe, I liked your humor, and felt the magic was only partially taken out.  After all, even with Finrod's role here, the meeting of Beren and Luthien has more than a touch of fate to it.  And the mead they drink sounds just like how Tolkien describes elf-wine like miruvor ;).  No one can ever live up to the legend about themselves. 

The Noldor being such show-offs that they cannot have enjoyable parties seemed all too appropriate - poor Finrod!  And his inquisitiveness and desire to understand fits his character so well. 

I did miss Melian from your story, though.  Is she also 'ordinary,' or does she still retain a bit of the supernatural, being a Maia? 

 

Much as I love the Noldor, I love also to make fun of them, their seriousness, their ostentatiousness. Actually, Finrod is frequently my comic muse for this (and Finarfin, too, to a slightly lesser extent).

I didn\'t give much thought to Melian for this story, to be honest. I should definitely account to her in some way--I see that now--even if to excuse why she might not be present. One day, maybe ten years from now, I would like to really study the Beren and Luthien story and write something longer on it, along these lines (sans stabs at humor and bad puns ;), a more realistic version of the story.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to review! :)

Dawn, this is such a delightful story!  Beautifully written, as only you can do.  I love the descriptions of the characters, such as Daeron.  Hee!Hee!  The humour in it is wonderful.  You show how well peoples' expectations can become much too high of "celebrities" or of people whom one thinks one should revere or admire.  Your Luthien is very refreshing.  She's an ordinary woman, maybe, but not at all common-place.

 

The surprise ending was also a delight.  Thank you so much for taking on the task of writing this story.  It has surpassed all my expectations.