Strange Land by Elfique

| | |

Fanwork Notes

2nd Place March ALEC 'Feeling Lucky?' 

AU within AU. Warnings for moderate gore/violence.

I feel this fic needs a little explanation... so firstly, everything in this fic is based on fact, all the events and sights (bar Maglor unfortunately) are things I see or hear about happening in the area I live in. Secondly, I'm not a fan of modern day Maglor ... however, I was ranting about why I don't like modern day portrayals of him and thought 'well, how would I have him?'. Thus a treacherous idea was born! And then the ALEC theme came along like a devil on my shoulder and I had to write this. So all in all, this is part me venting through Maglor and part quite too much influence from Watchmen.

Thanks goes to all at the Hall of Fire for their advice.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

From the flimsy boughs of a dying tree, a dark figure listens to the chaos of night unfold around him. He strives to do all that he can, knowing that it is already too late. Luck, however, does not always favour the wicked, and this he knows well.

ALEC March 'Feeling Lucky?' 2nd Place
MEFA 2010 Honourable Mention

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 285
Posted on 23 May 2010 Updated on 23 May 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Slightly edited copy of my MEFA review:

Elfique has written modern-day Maglor as an avenger. This is certainly a contrast to those stories that portray him as so disturbed as to be helpless or so wracked with grief so as to be indifferent to what is going on around him--and clearly she is reacting against those stories. Her Maglor is wracked with grief, too, but only after he has dispatched his latest group of targets--and dismissive of other victims only because of the practical limitations of his strength.The piece is well-written. The way the description seems to show how close some elvish traits can be to animal or demonic characteristics, when looked at in a certain light, is rather disturbing, but that is probably intentional. It may be hinted here that Maglor is still in danger of being swallowed up by the Everlasting Dark that the Oath he swore once invoked. In any case, avengers are seldom entirely unproblematic characters and often in danger of being entirely absorbed by their quest. I am unfamiliar with the film Watchmen (referenced by the author) and do not know how much that context would add to the interpretation of the story. At any rate, Maglor pulls back in time from the brink to assist the victim.