The Findaráto Diaries by Fiondil

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A hundred years before Glorfindel was released from Mandos, Finrod Felagund, once King of Nargothrond, was reborn to walk with his father in Eldamar. This is his story. A companion tale to Elf, Interrupted. As always, my sincerest thanks go to Alassiel for the beta.

Major Characters: Ainur, Amarië, Eärwen, Finarfin, Finrod Felagund, Gandalf, Ingwë, Maiar, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 38 Word Count: 124, 940
Posted on 25 July 2010 Updated on 25 July 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


The story is a fresh take on Rebirth for me, an unusually difficult genre to do well in my opinion. What I enjoyed about this was the exploratory nature of Finrod’s experience, and the talking along the way that accompanied his frustrations. The changing cast of characters added interest, and likewise the places. The flowers and the tears was a moment that stands out, and the explosion of heartache at the end which was touching and well done. A profound adjustment, with a new life ahead, one lost behind him, and a wealth of experiences from his past life, Finrod’s Rebirth is not plain sailing.

Thanks, Erfan. I appreciate your thoughts and I am glad this story helped give you a new perspective on Rebirth for the Elves. Finrod's road was not an easy one, and his story is the story of all the other Elves who eventually become re-embodied and must face Life once again with all its sorrows and joys, frustrations and grace.

At the end of the story, I’m left feeling it is a gentle story about living and learning, family and friendships. I liked the way the story is addressed, the touches of names and the limited but effective use of language in a note from Namo at the end. I liked the innocence of it, and Finrod’s uninhibited joy in going to meet his friend.