No Way You Can Fall by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Cosmos

MEFA banner by Esteliel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon braces himself to defy Namo for the sake of his love of Maedhros, but it turns out to be strangely unnecessary. Ages later in Tirion, there is a rather more dramatic confrontation, when Fingolfin finally suspects the reason why Fingon has immured himself in his house with the cousin he has recently retrieved from Lorien.

Mature Themes: Maedhros is gradually regaining his sanity under Fingon's care.

Nominated for the MEFAs 2011. Thank you very much, Lyra!

Major Characters: Fingolfin, Fingon, Maedhros, Mandos

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 129
Posted on 8 February 2011 Updated on 8 February 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

(Names:  Fingon=Findekano, Maedhros=Maitimo, Turgon=Turukano)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love this, the understanding between Fingon and Maedhros, the dance that they do.  The underlying question of why the Valar truly released Maedhros from Mandos comes out midway, but underlies the entire grouping.  And the reactions of Fingolfin to the two, as he recognizes that they truly belong together, is golden.  I loved this piece so much...

- Erulisse (one L)

 

‘I think they want him for something, so they gave him to me to try and patch him together again...’

What a terrifying thought. After Angbad, after Mandos.... what else is Maedhros supposed to endure? Whatever his guilt, seeing him utterly broken twice should be enough even for the Valar.

So the prospect of your next in this series is actually a bit frightening to me, though I also adore every word.

According to one of the versions of the fate of the Silmarils at the end of Arda in HoME, it is Maedhros who releases the light from them. Depending on what you think that does to Feanor, it could be a very harrowing task. However, I'm not  planning to write about the breaking of the Silmarils at the moment, and what I had in mind when I wrote this story was something that you will probably consider much less terrifying... Also, I don't write the stories in the series in chronological sequence - there is at least one rather dark story still to be written, but in terms of chronology it comes before this one, so I hope it will not be too frightening!

Thank you very much for reading and reviewing and for your sympathy with my version of Maedhros!

Idolatry, a task for Maitimo... I have a feeling I know what it is about, and why it requires Maitimo to be as whole and healed as he can be at the moment. I say at the moment because there’s that final piece for his recovering still missing.

About time Fingolfin caught up! I wonder, were Finarfin’s “hints” very subtle of was the idea of his son with Maedhros too alien for him? Finarfin must have been quite frustrated with his brother not getting it. I enjoyed the difference between Fingolfin’s reaction and Finarfin’s, it showed the difference in temperament. Whether he likes it or not, Fingolfin has a little more of Fëanor in him than he realises, I always thought.

I love how you describe the relationship between Fingon and Maedhros. Maedhros still thinks he’d curse anyone he cares about, doesn’t he? Lucky for him Fingon is stubborn and won’t let him alone. Your Fingon is a sweetheart, have I mention that?

Just as Findekano firmly interposes his jutting shoulder between Maitimo and the rest of the world, that curve of Maitimo’s body seems to be trying to shield Findekano from anything that might threaten him  This is a lovely image. And yes, Maitimo may not do anything to defend himself right now, but I doubt he’d hesitate to defend Findekáno.

Thank you! I'm happy you liked that image--and also very glad that you liked Fingon so much in this story!

Yes, in Finarfin's eyes the fact that Maedhros loves Fingon makes him more human (or "elven", I guess!) and less threatening than if he didn't, but in Fingolfin's eyes it makes him very alien--at least at first.

"And the image he is conjuring up is hard to resist: Maitimo going down to the garden each day for an hour to practice screaming and running away with all his customary concentration and discipline..."

I absolutely lost it when I read this line. And then the very next paragraph showed Fingon losing it as well. I love it when a writer can set a character and myself as emotional mirrors of each other, especially when it's done so hillariously. Good story.

Of all your fics set in this time period, this one is my favorite, and I'm finding it hard to pin down why.  I think I just really like Fingolfin's emotional arc - he starts out blindly angry and unable to separate Maitimo from all his old perceptions and family history, but ends the story seeing the little details that reveal how real the love is between Maitimo and Findekano, and comes to quiet acceptance.  And actually, the fact that Maitimo is so changed, which is established so early, makes Fingolfin seem even more conflicted since it seems those changes should be obvious.

Somewhat tangentially, I really love this line - "The soup is hot and spicy the way I like it." - because Fingon seems like the type who would.  (He's brave?  He can take the heat?)  I love the last scene, but I think parts five and six are my favorites.

I've been meaning to review this for months.  I think I'd be happy reading this, or fics like this and about this subject, forever.

Thank you! I'm glad you like this one!

I'm always a bit anxious, writing Fingolfin--but yes, that emotional arc was what I was going for here and I'm happy it seems to have worked.

I think I included that line about the spicy soup because in my mind Fingon is someone who likes things--you could perhaps say he dares to enjoy things--although I guess that sounds a bit ponderous and solemn, doesn't it?