The Dower of Dol Amroth by Dwimordene

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Once upon a time, Dol Amroth was elven land. So how did "Dol Amroth" come to name a city ruled by Princes of Men? Imrazor receives an unusual gift.

Major Characters: Imrazor, Nimrodel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 759
Posted on 1 June 2011 Updated on 1 June 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

Of the Princes of Dol Amroth.

In the War of the Ring, it was Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth who was instrumental in defending Minas Tirith until the Rohirrim and Aragorn could arrive to lift the siege. Afterwards, he became a great friend of Legolas Greenleaf, and Legolas it was who told us this story, which he had from the Prince, for it is a very curious thing to find in a Man the blood of the Eldar, and the land of Dol Amroth itself is said to be elven country. In such late times, it is moreover a thing unheard of, for Men to build a city in Elvish lands, or for Elves to permit it while they remained. Such a friendship must be the marvel of an Age, though as the Prince told and Legolas testifies, such wonders are often bound with grief.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love those etymological notes.  I've been known to spin whole novellas off of them (or at least conceptualizations within such) from such things. ;^)

I love what you've done with that tidbit here, Dwim.  It's a bittersweet little tale of mortal Men and the Firstborn, akin but separate, and yet, how their interwoven lives gave root to Dol Amroth.  A very nice look back at the latter's origins.  I especially liked the description of the sea.

Hi Pande - yeah, those etymologies and place-names are fertile fanfic ground! The sea is always such a great character to write, and so useful for creating mood. Writing this piece coming off of B2MeM2010, both inter-species relationships and the sea were fresh in my mind, and seemed to go together very nicely, particularly in this case.

 

Thanks for commenting - I'm glad you enjoyed the story! - Dwim