Father-Names by Finch

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

Based on The Silmarillion, Tolkien's letters and the HoMe series.

Disclaimer: It's all dependent on Tolkien. He created these characters and their history, though the names of Himluin and Andrúth were invented by me.

 

First published: June 23, 2002

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor, rembembering the fate of Dior's sons, sets out to search for the sons of Elwing after the attack on the Havens of Sirion.

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 3, 589
Posted on 12 August 2011 Updated on 12 August 2011

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoyed this fic, and was sad to see no one left a review. I liked the question of whether evil is a pit with a ground or is bottomless--and I like how the Feanorians can't answer that. The reason for Maglor giving Elros and Elrond new names also intruiged me and made that random fact make a  lot of sense.

Maglor was great in this piece. He was believably both the sensitive musician and yet a ruthless Feanorian. When he killed one of his men just because he wans't being truthful... wow. I wasn't expecting that, but it worked for Maglor. The reader, like that guard, forgot that Maglor is a Feanorian, a kinslayer, and he doesn't need to think twice about using violence. Yet, it haunts him afterwards, and that's why he wants to find Elwing's sons. Or he thinks he wants to--that was another one of my favorite moments. I think it was insightful pyschology that realize that Maglor didn't really want to find them and deal with the consequences, he just wanted to assuage his guilt a little.

So, I apologize that my review is a little jumbled and not well-written. I just thought this fic deserved some response!