Narn Gil-galad by Earonn

| | |

Chapter 4: Nargothrond


 

IV Nargothrond

In the stronghold of Nargothrond Orodreth and his family lived quite safely and peacefully for several years. Often they rode into the forests on both sides of the river and Finduilas laughed and sang merrily in the sunshine falling through the bright green leaves after which she was named. She spent much time with Gwindor and everyone knew they just waited for the next time of peace to marry.

These were lucky years for the elves of Nargothrond, they sang many a song and adorned the caves with rich carvings and many skilled crafts. And in spite of the ongoing war in the north this was the time Gil Galad would forever remember as his happiest days, when the children of Finarfin and Fëanor lived together with their people in harmony under the rule of king Finrod Felagund.

Gil Galad learned much in this time among two of the greatest loremasters of the Eldar, in one of the most important realms of Beleriand. Others like Doriath or Hithlum might have had greater influence, but they stood aloof and took not much of an interest in the activities beyond their borders, or lay far away behind mountain ranges.

Nargothrond, however, open to all sides, making agreements and pacts in all directions with elves, Men and dwarves, was often visited by guests of various kinds, even though none of them ever was to see the hidden stronghold itself(1). Here Finrod taught him to govern a realm, at least as far as the elven kings governed at all. Usually their subjects lived independent from their king, seldom searching his help and practically never his advice.

But still there was enough to discuss and to decide, and Finrod showed great enthusiasm in teaching his young kinsman, maybe because he esteemed his eagerness to learn or out of an unconscious knowledge of the things to come.

Finrod Felagund held close friendship with the Secondborn and frequently invited his young relatives to accompany him on his visits to the camps of the Edain. They also came to know the dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost. Since these had helped Finrod to enlarge the former home of the petty-dwarves and to widen the many halls, they felt and behaved friendlier towards the elves of the realm around the Narog as this was common habit between the two races.

As a result of these visits the son of Orodreth came in frequent contact with the other races of Middle Earth. To talk with dwarves and Men became to him a quite usual experience, as much as meeting Sindar and Noldor, Doriathrim and Falathrim as well.

"Shouldn't you actually teach my father these things – provided that Nargothrond ever will be in need of another lord, it would be his duty to succeed you, not mine", Gil Galad asked half serious and half teasing.

Finrod looked up from the map they studied together.

"Your father knows enough of these matters, and don't you dare to believe you'd be the only one to enjoy the pleasure of my company! But a life is lost easily in Middle-earth, that much the Noldor have learned. And if something should happen to me and Orodreth..."

"...It most likely also would affect me. Or do you plan to lock me here while going into war together with my father?"

Finrod grimaced. "I've already heard about the argument you had with him when he ordered you to stay at Tol Sirion. Well, he made the right decision. Not only regarding the succession, but also referring to your training and the defence of the pass. And believe me: should Nargothrond ever be forced to fight again, you will stay! I would not leave the stronghold defenceless and, yes, I consider the succession. You're the only heir of Finarfin in Middle-earth after Orodreth and me(2). If you so badly want to go out and play you should do your homework first and change this."

The last sentence was spoken with a smile, for Finrod already had noticed his young relative wasn't confident at all with what he told him.

But as quick as the anger came it was pushed aside. "There is no maiden in Nargothrond I wish to marry", Gil Galad replied, only to add mischievously "And besides, they all are in love with someone else."

Finrod might be lord and king of the largest elven realm of Middle Earth, but he wasn't above throwing a crumpled piece of paper at his insolent grand-nephew.

Therefore Gil Galad learned what there was to learn, although he thought too highly of Finrod's and his father's wisdom to seriously doubt that Nargothrond would stand for a long time, even against an enemy like Morgoth.

Moreover he didn't long for this kind of power. Besides that it would imply the death of the two men he loved most, leadership was not what he searched for. He made decisions if necessary and usually he made the right ones. But given the choice, he preferred the things he could learn in workshops and libraries above those taught in council chambers and throne rooms.

Winter had set in, a wet chill filled the land and the elves spent many days and nights in the numerous halls with singing, dancing and storytelling.

At this special evening all relatives of the king casually had found their way into his Great Hall. Finduilas had funny gossip with her girlfriends and some private and more affectionate talk with Gwindor. Helegethir told a group of children old narratives of her family with Finrod half-listening while tuning his harp. Celegorm shared his knowledge of hunting with some youngsters and Celebrimbor and Gil Galad had a conversation, intensely observed by Curufin, standing with Orodreth near to one of the fireplaces.

"Look at them!", he said with a nod towards the two younger elves. "You wouldn't be able to tell whether they talk about lore, horses or craft!"

Orodreth followed Curufin’s gesture. Celebrimbor and Finellach stood several steps away, engulfed in a partial very lively conversation. What meant: Celebrimbor apparently was very excited about the topic and spoke with wide-spaced gestures towards his cousin, who listened to him cautious but completely calm, with a questioning look in his dark grey eyes.

Like so often before Orodreth was enraptured by the sight of his son, his unobtrusive features, his calm self-confidence, the distinct attempt to understand his cousin's point of view. He watched him as if seeing him the first time.

Actually, even after all these years he wasn't tired of observing his children. Both were so wonderful and amiable, each of them in their own manner. They had changed and brightened his life as much as Helegethir's love had done before.

"He's exactly like you, same bearing, same expression" Curufin went on.

"While Celebrimbor matches you in his temper."

"Ah, that doesn't have to be an advantage. My temper is not one of my most endearing qualities."

Orodreth laid a hand on Curufin's upper arm. "It is your fëa, Curufin. We are friends and I esteem you as the person you are."

The other elf looked at him with a mixture of gratitude and affection. "So do I. Nevertheless I would be happier had my son inherited more of his mother's spirit in these matters."

"But he has not – and at least this is not the only thing in which he is truly your son. The title of a master-smith is not easily gained, the less here in Nargothrond where he had to match the work of Finrod Felagund and the dwarves. You can be proud of him and that you know very well."

A melancholy shimmer appeared in Curufin's eyes. "Yes, I know it. There's nothing I could teach him anymore. It's difficult, you know, to be surpassed by your own son."

"Do you think so?" Orodreth pensively looked at Gil Galad. "I often wished, Finellach would show more interest in my work." He ceased, confused at the sight of Curufin's amused look. "What's so funny on that?"

"Nothing. But you are the only person in Nargothrond withholding your son his epessë."

"His – oh! You're right. Just don't tell him. We're very proud of him and he has deserved it well, but I'm not yet used to it. Alright, so I wished that Gil Galad would be more interested in his father's work. But it seems I should accept he has a bright spirit but lacks the interest and the ambition to surpass me in any of my fields."

Curufin patted his friend's shoulder. "Be patient. Surely it's not easy to be the son of one of the greatest loremasters among the Noldor."

"Thank you. But also it surely is not easy to be the son of one of their greatest craftsmen, and Celebrimbor seems to cope well with it. No, Curufin my friend, I've put up long ago with the fëa of my son going its own way. I would gladly see him at my side in the ranks of the loremasters, but I can't force him into anything that's not in his heart already. There are others sharing my interests, I can choose one of them."

During their talk Celebrimbor had come to the end of his detailed and spirited speech and was now looking at Gil Galad, clearly expecting his consent. The younger elf seemed to consider the topic for some moments, before answering with only a few words. Celebrimbor gave him an astounded glance, then he laughed out loud. He took his cousin's upper arm and both elves left the hall.

When Beren son of Barahir came to Nargothrond, requesting help in his search for the Silmaril, Gil Galad was eager to support him. But due to his youth he wasn't yet called to Finrod's council.

The bitter parting of Finrod Felagund, however, and the role the sons of Fëanor played in it, was a grave experience for him and he never could truly forgive them forcing Finrod to leave his own hall like an expelled beggar. Nor that they frightened the people to such an extent.

This dislike grew to aversion when shortly after Finrod had left they began to undermine the authority of his father, who had been assigned by the king as his steward.

For gradually Celegorm and Curufin took over leadership of Nargothrond. And now it became clear what an ill fate it had been that they brought so many of their own folk along with them. These elves obeyed their lords alone and many others followed their example.

Orodreth just wasn't able to handle the situation. His love and devotion belonged to wisdom and lore, and though he was a capable leader in war, he had nothing of a politician and lacked any knowledge about intrigues. After all, at that time there was no one in the settlement who could match the abilities of the sons of Fëanor in this field.

He felt the more helpless since he couldn't understand the behaviour of the brothers and at the same time was unwilling to withdraw Nargothrond's hospitality from those who had once been close friends.

He did not know anything about Celegorm's jealousy which had spoiled his friendship. Nothing about his influence on his brother Curufin, only strengthened by the terrible oath they had sworn. And nothing about the bitter feelings they harboured because they no longer were lords of own realms but only guests – even if honoured – in the mighty kingdom of Nargothrond. A realm ruled by the youngest descendant of the House of Finwë, contrary to them, who felt like being scarcely more than beggars.

"Why do you oppose me?” the son of Angrod once asked his former friends in the council. "After all these years in Valinor and Dorthonion, when we hunted, fought, celebrated together, why? Why did you turn against me?"

But neither of them answered and maybe there wasn't any answer to be given. Celegorm was unable or unwilling to understand that it was jealousy, which led his deeds. Jealousy of the happiness Orodreth found in his family, of Helegethir and their children giving him all their love.

And all Curufin could see was that his son Celebrimbor, who was so very like himself and whom he loved more than anyone else in the circle of Arda, became more and more distant in his behaviour towards him. And Curufin blamed this on Finduilas and her influence on his son.

Celebrimbor, however, couldn't understand his father's and uncle's behaviour any more than Orodreth could, because he also was ignorant of their feelings. Had Curufin talked about his sorrows with his son, he would have heard how much he was loved. But talking about feelings was something he had not learned well in his father's house, he only understood the language of forge and metal.

Henceforth the evenings in Finrod's Great Hall became quiet. There was still singing and laughing, but the mood was tense and no one dared to raise his voice. Always two groups were forming – the larger consisting of the followers of Celegorm and Curufin, and those around Orodreth and his family.

Sitting in a well-carved wooden chair, Celebrimbor pensively observed Finduilas at the other end of the hall. He loved to look at his beautiful cousin, as much as he loved to look at any piece of art.

One elbow he rested on the armrest of his chair, his fingers leaned against his temples. The sleeve of his robe of full brown had slipped downwards, thus exposing a fresh burn he had suffered the day before at the forge. He paid no attention on it; he was used to small injuries. Nonetheless he shortly imaged Finduilas taking care of it – as she had done often before. Careful and fondly, full of affection for a relative – but in complete innocence, because her heart belonged to another one, as he knew only too well.

Celegorm sat beside his nephew and followed his gaze. He had noticed this frequent small looks again and again over the past weeks. Now he bent to Celebrimbor.

"She's really beautiful."

"Yes, indeed", Celebrimbor thoughtfully answered without taking his gaze from her.

Celegorm continued in a low voice "Do you want her? You could have her, you know that."

Celebrimbor questioningly looked at his uncle.

"You're not too close kin and she's a desirable young woman", Celegorm added. "And a marriage with her would strengthen your position in Nargothrond."

The smith observed Finduilas again. As usual she was near her brother, standing behind him, her arms draped around his neck and looking over his shoulder on the text he was reading out to some listeners. Her face was merry and content, her golden, asymmetrical winded braids a light contrast to the darker feature of Gil Galad.

Celebrimbor found distinct delight in Finduilas' cheerfulness and the understanding she had for his pleasure in creating. In this respect she had received more of the Noldor inheritance than most of her family. Sometimes she visited him in his forge, asking questions or requesting him to make or repair something for her. And he had gladly granted these requests.

But he was nothing more than a cousin to her. She obviously liked him and acted friendly towards him, in spite of the difficult relationship between their parents, but nothing more. Her heart was bound to Guilin's son Gwindor, already since the time when they had lived at Tol Sirion. A skilled warrior, gifted craftsmen, with a sonorous voice and a talent for stirring ballads. For some time this had been a source of heartache for Celebrimbor, but now the hurt was gone.

The smith frowned. "Political marriages are for the Edain. I would assume we don't follow such bad habits."

Shrugging Celegorm answered with a light tone. "We certainly do not. I'm interested in your personal welfare and I know she likes you. The rest of it is...a useful side effect."

Celebrimbor lifted his broad shoulders uneasily. He was undeniably tempted, the thought of marrying Finduilas nearly forbidden but nonetheless enticing. If his father and uncle used all their power in Nargothrond, if it was for the sake of her parents and her brother – would Finduilas follow his courting? Would she one day lay her arms around him, full of trust and fondness, like she did now with her brother? He imagined how it would be to feel her presence in his fëa, if all his days were enlightened with her bright spirit. Then he shook off the thought.

"If it's not her wish also, I see no reason to urge her", he said firmly.

This time he had resisted the temptation.

They both were unaware of Orodreth watching them closely during this exchange. He frowned involuntary when his relatives observed his daughter over and over again. Fortunately she didn't seem to take notice of this mustering, nor of her being topic of such a talk.

He sighed. During the last weeks Celegorm seemingly became more and more eager to manage a bond between Finduilas and his nephew Celebrimbor. Certainly this would be a success for him and provide him with even more influence than he already had.

The steward wouldn't have been worried about this new plan, if Celebrimbor had not shown several signs of deeper feelings than were usual between relatives. That Finduilas harboured strong feelings towards Gwindor, or that the young elf was accepted by her family, apparently didn't discourage the son of Fëanor. Orodreth did not know for sure, but he feared that something had happened, something that prompted his daughter never to depart far away from her brother, where since her earliest childhood she had sought and found protection.

It hurt. 'I am her father. It would be my duty to protect her against all woe, all danger and all pain', he thought sadly. But he was as unable to protect his daughter against Celegorm's ambitions, as he couldn't perform his duty to Finrod Felagund for Tol Sirion. 'And even if I could – she seeks help with 'Ellach, as she is used to. O Finduilas, how could I fail you so gravely that now you rather hide behind your brother than with your own father?'

Someone caressed his fingers and when he turned he found Helegethir's beautiful grey eyes examining his face closely.

"You worry too much about our daughter, beloved. She has more inner strength than might appear, she could resist them. Celebrimbor is fond of her and I can't imagine him forcing her, least of all into a marriage. And ‘Ellach”, now she laughed, Ellach rather would cast the three of them out of the realm with his own hands than let them harm his little sister."

"That's what I fear, my heart. What if one day they will go too far? What if he believes he has to defend? Do you really think they would abstain from injuring him, only because he is my son and their distant cousin? No, it would be exactly what they want. And 'Las...well, it's a torture for every father to be unable to defend his own daughter, if she can't rely on him."

Helegethir lowered herself on the armrest of the chair in which her spouse sat slightly bent. Softly she stroked his hair. "She knows very well that she can rely on you, but she doesn't want to increase your sorrows. Don't be jealous, Orodreth. Not of your own son!"

He didn't answer, but sneaked eagerly, nearly despairingly into her affectionate touch.

Gil Galad strolled through the usually so friendly streets of Nargothrond. The inhabitants greeted him with the same respect as ever before, but he could see the unease in their eyes. None of them came to him for a little talk or to seek his help in some little matter as they would have done a few months ago. And none of them would be grateful for his visit now. He had become a stranger in his own home.

He went to a garden, one of the few real gardens in the stronghold of Nargothrond, set up in a cave whose ceiling had collapsed many years ago. The dwarves had cleared away the debris and trees, flowers and shrubs had been planted by the elves. Here he knew, peace and some seclusion were to be found.

He was surprised to find Celebrimbor at his favourite, ivy-overgrown fountain.

During the past few months their relationship had noticeably chilled. Now it was not really unfriendly, still neither of them felt the urge to include the other into their life. Gil Galad the less as he was well aware of Celegorm's plans regarding Celebrimbor and Finduilas.

Celebrimbor on the other side didn't want to impose himself on his cousins. He felt shame for what their father suffered from his own sire's deeds. And he was afraid that they would refuse his friendship.

"I...I didn't mean to disturb you", Gil Galad said after a little pause.

"You don't disturb me. I'm brooding about something and don't make any progress, so it doesn't matter if I'm interrupted."

"What were you thinking about?" He asked more out of sheer politeness and in order to say at least something. Celebrimbor's answer, however, surprised him.

"About us, the whole situation in Nargothrond and...and about our parents. It is wrong, what happens here, Gil Galad. It should not happen. But I see no possibility to end it – unless I could change my father's mind...or...your father's."

Reluctantly they looked at each other's eyes. Gil Galad eventually sat down on the edge of the fountain and folded his hands between the knees. After a deep breath he shortly bit his lip as if to punish himself for what he was going to say.

"It's difficult to admit, but my father is weak."

Celebrimbor sighed and looked down. "It's difficult to admit, but my father is greedy for power."

Again they looked at each other.

"And what are we to do now?", Celebrimbor finally asked quietly.

"There's nothing we could do. It lies in our parent's hands. But to begin with I would be grateful if you could refrain yourself from marrying my sister."

The slightest smile crept onto the corner of Celebrimbor's full lips. "I think I can manage that – at least as long it doesn't mean that I have to take you instead."

This chance meeting was followed by others, less chance but as secret. Sometimes Finduilas accompanied them. Unobtrusively these three elves, the youngest of the House of Finwë, built a small wall against the misfortune in the realm of Nargothrond. And Celebrimbor noticed with shame, that by and by he developed more affectionate feelings for Orodreth's family than for his own.

He loved them because they were calm, because they cared deeper for their love for each other and for those they governed than for the power their position granted. He respected Orodreth's wisdom and admired Helegethir because of her quiet dignity. Their children were more friends than relatives to him and he felt drawn towards both.

They might be dominated by his father and his uncle, but deep inside Celebrimbor knew that their way was the wiser. And he began to fear his uncle's yearning for power, which Celegorm, as he said, only wanted to use for regaining the Silmaril. But as small the master smith's ability to read the hearts of others might have been, nonetheless he noticed that the son of Fëanor wanted the power over Nargothrond also because he desired to be mighty among his people.


Chapter End Notes

 

No visitors in Nargothrond: Nargothrond is said to be a hidden realm like Gondolin. Therefore there couldn't have been any travel of strangers to or from the dwelling at the Narog. I imagine that anyone who had to deal with Finrod would be stopped at the borders and sent a message or spoke with a representative.

Succession: certainly also Galadriel lived at that time in Middle Earth. But I decided to use a succession via the male line.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment